A Birthday in Middle Earth

The Fellowship inviting me on An Unexpected Journey
Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes last week and over the weekend.  The day couldn't have been any more perfect and the world didn't come to an end!  What more can a girl ask for?

We did go see The Hobbit in IMAX 3-D HFR ASAP JSYK.  For all of you who want to see it but haven't, I definitely think it's a must-see in the movie theater and in IMAX if you can manage it.  The New Zealand landscapes are just as fantastic in this film as they were in Lord of the Rings ("LOTR") and you should see them on the biggest screen possible.  My personal opinion, which pretty much counts for nil, is that PJ should have filmed this movie first and then moved on to the LOTR trilogy.  I understood in LOTR why they had to cut out sections from the books to make the movies more manageable in length but in The Hobbit, they added on pieces to the plot that were not part of the original canon and don't exactly tie in well.  And since I'm such an uber-nerd, I could tell exactly which scenes were added on and made sure to point those out to Siri while we were watching, which was distracting and didn't make her too happy with me.  However, the parts in The Hobbit that were awesome?  The battle scenes and the riddle scene with Gollum.  I won't ruin it for those of you who haven't seen it but Gollum / Smeagol pretty much steals the show.

Overall, the film is really entertaining and as my sister aptly puts it - better than LOTR if only for the fact that you don't have to suffer through the awkward scenes between Frodo and Sam.

Tomorrow I'll be cooking up a storm for the Christmas Eve feast and will be sure to share some of the successes and, inevitably, some of the misses of our meal!

Comments

  1. Ack!! HAPPY (belated) birthday!!! Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Watching The Hobbit sounds like a great way to celebrate. I'm such a nerd too, I was totally looking forward to the whole riddle scene. Definitely my favorite part.

    Merry Christmas & happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Rooth! And your sis' comment about the Sam and Frodo scenes...LOLZ....
    As I told you before, I loved loved loved the movie, especially Thorin...ahem....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! And happy holidays! I really want to see the hobbit but I think I want to see Les Mis more and considering I go to a movie once every 9 months I must choose between them. Oh, winter time, all the good movies come out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to see the move in IMAX! I've only seen a few feature length movies in that format, and one of them was Harry Potter and the Order of the phoenix. I LOVED it and you're so right about seeing it in the largest format possible to really soak it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you saw The Hobbit in ASAP??? lol, I guess you did. I'll be taking the opposite approach. I'm glad you enjoyed your b-day. :)
    Merry Christmas!!!

    PS- It can be difficult to explain the non-Brokeback version of a strong male bond. Times have certainly changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, happy belated birthday sweet girl! Not gonna lie. Seeing The Hobbit sounds like the best way to spend a birthday to me. ;) Hope you had a great week and weekend, and I wish you nothing but the best year ahead of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's on my list to see! i hope your holidays are wonderful and full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday Rooth and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A belated Happy Birthday, and a very Merry Christmas! I hope you had a wonderful time with your family. And since I'm in New Zealand right now - I can attest to the awesome-ness of the landscapes! Best, Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear you liked the Hobbit movie. So far everybody I know had good things to say about it. I want to see it soon as well...Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday! Hope it was awesome and that your entire festive season was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the consensus is that adding bits in was weird, even if it was canon. Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ummmmm....I missed your birthday????!!! What!!?!?

    Happy Belated Birthday!!!!! How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris and I went to see this last weekend! We got to see it in Imax and both loved it. Hope you had a very merry christmas and glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday!

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  15. How can I possibly be so far behind?! Without further ado . . . A Very Merry UnBirthday to you! May the celebration just keep on keepin' on . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads