The surrogate family, at last!

via here
And now, finally, is how the entire family ties together.  You've met this kids of the summer, now meet the adults (I'm using the term "adults" very lightly)...

Bert*'s new home is the frat house in which the entire gang is camped.  His younger brother Ernie* is visiting for the summer from San Francisco.  The brothers and I go way back.  I first met Bert in an advanced math class when I was in middle school, even though he is a few years older than me (I know, I know, super dork).  Ernie and I are the same age, and the three of us went to high school and college together, becoming close friends during our years in Austin.

Bert, Ernie, Marie, DeDe and Bobby are all cousins, related through Bert & Ernie's parents (I loved typing that).  Bert and Ernie are the acting parents of this particular household.  Bert plays the role of the stern yet goofy dad and, instead of being the mom, Ernie has embraced the role of the slightly crazed, tipsy uncle that would always slip you some cash or sneak you a beer or ice cream bar.

Bert's house is also my non-home office or where I can work when I'm tired of sitting around my apartment by my lonesome.  The past few weeks, I've been making the family lunch and sometimes dinner, tidying up around the place and shuttling them around to different shopping centers - earning me the title of Auntie Rooth.  They treat me like part of their family, tagging me on Facebook and texting me randomly to ask when I'm going to come over and hang out on the weekends.

It has been hilarious, crowded and crazy but always an adventure at the frat house this summer and I feel lucky and blessed to be a part of this "family."


*Names have been changed.  To prevent embarrassment to others.  Plus they don't know that I'm blogging about them.  Shh!

Comments

  1. You changed their name's to Bert and Ernie??? If they only knew... hahaha Well, everyone needs a fun loving, stern dad and a tipsy uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, a super dork, but one who is fun. That's a great combination. You are lucky and blessed and they are too. It's a nice situation. I guess this summer will be as memorable as the summer you were 19.

    I bet you know this, but Bert and Ernie were named after the cop and cab driver in "It's a Wonderful Life".

    PS - I'm telling!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have such a fun and amazing extended family! :)
    :)
    Allison

    P.S. I'm having an INTERNATIONAL $75 Shopbop giveaway on my blog, so don't forget to enter! :)
    A's Fashion Files
    $75 Shopbop Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your "surrogate" family sounds pretty great, Auntie Rooth:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah, I love the name changes! So cute. :)
    And this surrogate family series has been great - really interesting and unique!! It sounds so sweet. ^^
    ♥ xixia | thisisxixia.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your descriptions of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Demand UT stories now, now, now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great adventure--love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea for a post - introducing everyone this way! I'm going to have to go back and read your earlier posts on your surrogate family! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you need a UT post then... Right fellow readers?

    (Also, replied specifically to you on Kyoto Maiko).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, for you, Rooth:

    http://www.kyotomaiko.com/2012/07/stay-true-to-your-school-for-rooth.html

    HOOK EM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little fam sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww auntie rooth! that's catchy! i'm glad that you're a part of such a fun family. oohhh and of course i won't tell! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that you changed names to Bert & Ernie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, so it all comes together now. How lovely for all of them, and for you I think, to have this surrogate family. Sometimes our best families are this we make, not the ones we come into the world with. What a wonderful summer you must be having.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's been nice reading all about your surrogate family. But even nicer to finally see a pic of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What adventures you must have!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK, this sounds like a crazy bunch. You really are having a great summer.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like a fun bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! Great blog! The last post is very interesting and beautiful! Let's follow each other, if you agree, then let me know!)))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Large groups are always a lot of fun - can't wait to read more about your adventures with the group! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh fun! I like that you're sort of the "den-mother" and go and tidy up sometimes. I like your surrogate family just from these descriptions. You can never have too many good people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awwwhhh. Auntie Roothie. You must be the cool aunt that everyone goes to to have fun with but also the aunt that can whip their ass when they're bad. Hehe.

    This must be an uber cool summer for you all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads