EOW No. 18

Happy Friday and second snow day(s) in 2022!  We've had two separate snow / ice day shut downs in Texas so far this year, which is amazing.  I hadn't quite unexpected to break in my new snow bibs before we hit the ski slopes.  The snow days in 2022 were a lot less momentous than SNOVID last spring (thank goodness) and we've had power the entire time.  Snow days in Texas are always quite beautiful and special, given their rarity, however our new "work from anywhere" environment has killed some of the fun associated with it.  During our snow / ice days, Bowie resignedly wears his sweaters and coats.  He sneaks looks of betrayal at me throughout the day, as if I'm the one personally responsible for the outside temperature and have made it too chilly for him to sunbathe in the backyard.

Happy girl on a sunny day

The horses have been very bored in the cold crummy weather as well.  As an update on Mae, she's been kind of off this winter.  She was super spooky over Christmas and her comfort level is sporadically good and bad - when it's bad, it's very obvious under saddle.  My trainer thought it could potentially be her hocks but most likely her back.  Earlier this week, the vet came out and shot x-rays of her back and she was officially diagnosed with kissing spine - poor girl.  It's in three different spots on her spine, all under where the saddle sits, and explains quite a bit around her behavior and why she never liked jumping.  There are multiple treatment options (injections / surgery) available and she's a viable candidate for all of them.  I feel better knowing why she has been physically uncomfortable and what we can do to alleviate any discomfort.  I also feel further reassured as the vet told us that all of the work we've done building her topline has actually alleviated the kissing spine and helped prevent it from becoming worse.  Regardless of what medical intervention we decide to proceed with, Mae will stay with me.  One of the options I'm considering seriously is giving her some time off in a pasture.  She's turning 10 this April and I'd love for her to get to relax with some GRASS somewhere in the country.

Despite the heaviness these days, there are quite a few bright spots.  My parents are doing well, baby nephew is growing fast, and everyone has been healthy.  Below are some small, happy things that will hopefully bring you a bit of joy.

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies - Don't know what to do with your sourdough starter besides feed it every other week?  You can bake these cookies!  They're good - I've already made them twice and everyone has enjoyed them (including the dog).


This Mezcal print by Issy Croker is everything.  Bryan has been on a mezcal kick for a few years now and he has been using it as a tequila substitute in margaritas and ranch waters.  Our favourite kind is Del Maguey Vida.  This print would fit in perfectly in our office area, right over our home bar.

50 Ways to Live On Your Own Terms - This article from Medium has been bookmarked in my internet  browser for three years.  I revisit it every few months as a refresher.  Recently the following pieces of advice have been speaking to me:

  • Do something every day that terrifies you
  • Do something kind for someone else daily
  • Stop obsessing about the outcome
Stay well and stay warm my friends!

Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear about Mae, Ruth. I can't believe she's 10 already. That's good to know that you have options to help out with the kissing spine though. And awesome to hear your parents are doing well, and so is the baby. Yay:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmy - we're all happy to be healthy and hope to see the baby again soon!

      Delete
  2. Mae could come eat all the grass she wants in TN :) i am glad you figured it out for her though and have plans! Also f the ice storms. OVER IT :) hahahhaha i dont even think its pretty anymore! I am glad your parents are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would love hanging out with your minis - ugh I need a pasture. It's almost spring, so season of mud. And Bryan asks me why I'm so negative about everything all the time

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about Mae but now that you know her issues you will be able to take care of her.
    Good to know you had better snow/ice days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always better knowing what the cause is than guessing! Not looking forward to the vet bill this month though...

      Delete
  4. Lol, Bowie and blaming you for the chilly weather :P what a horse mindset.
    I hope Mae is feeling better these days! I have never heard of a kissing spine before.
    And those sourdough cookies sounds delish! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads