Nicholas was... by Neil Gaiman

Nicholas Was...

older than sin, and his beard could grow no whiter. He wanted to die.

The dwarfish natives of the Arctic caverns did not speak his language, but conversed in their own, twittering tongue, conducted incomprehensible rituals, when they were not actually working in the factories.

Once every year they forced him, sobbing and protesting, into Endless Night. During the journey he would stand near every child in the world, leave one of the dwarves' invisible gifts by its bedside. The children slept, frozen into time.

He envied Prometheus and Loki, Sisyphus and Judas. His punishment was harsher.

Ho.

Ho.

Ho.

This super short is from one of my favourite authors of all time Neil Gaiman.  He's always been able to excite, delight and twist reality into a story that I can't put down.  And you can't expect any less of him around the holidays. 

Comments

  1. I can see why this is your favorite. It's beautifully written.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this. I want it embroidered to hang on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read Neil Gaiman. I don't know why. But I'm going to read Coraline before Christmas or ELSE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've never read anything by him, but now i want to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love it !!
    and yes, my cousin and i are dressed up as anne
    it was SO fun
    !laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've yet to read Neil Gaiman, but he's been on my list for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting - I´ve never read him but may give it a go now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I do so love Neil Gaiman . . . but I hadn't read this wee piece . . . thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Explique em portugues como o personagem principal e caracterizado no texto justifique sua resposta com trecho retirados do tesxt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads