Y'all I'm excited


While we've been waiting for spring to sproing (any day now), there have been horse shenanigans in the works.  Even though Mae was recently diagnosed with kissing spine, my trainer had suspected a mild case of it for a few years now.  For the last six months or so, I have been casually horse hunting and only sped up the pace when the KS was confirmed by the vet.  I have a love/hate relationship with shopping for horses.  It is really fun to look at what's out there and to imagine what it'd be like with different kinds of horses.  In a two week span, I went from Irish Draught to Irish Sport Horse to Anything Goes!  Have I ever ridden an Irish Draught or even any kind of draft horse?  Nope!  I just liked how they look so chill under saddle, trail riding, and jumping over everything.  (Spoilers: I did not end up getting an Irish Draught but would someday love to ride one.)  However, it is also extremely overwhelming to look at hundreds of ads and videos - after awhile they all start to look the same.  Pretty early on, Trainer and I decided that we would be importing from Europe, particularly given the completely insane horse market in the US.  After looking at what feels like ALL of the horses for sale in Europe, we vetted four and ultimately settled on two - one is a prospect for her and one is for me!

After agreeing on the purchase price with the seller, we wrestled with international shippers for a week (!!!) before we finally got a set ship out date and shipping price.  The horses leave Belgium this week and head for the US.  

Even though this is not the first horse I've bought sight unseen, this is the first horse that I've bought without pictures.  Yep, the sellers did not even have him listed for sale as they were letting him grow into his body.  I have quite a bit of video and we have x-rays galore but don't precisely know what he looks like (big and brown?).  Over the last few weeks, I have had a lot of anxiety about him coming home to Texas but it's slowly turning from anxiety into excitement.

To keep y'all in the dark a little longer, I won't share any details and media until he arrives but you can expect to be bombarded soon!


Comments

  1. That's quite an announcement to drop on us!! I can't wait to see the new addition 🤩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited yet we still don't know when they'll get to Texas. Facepalm!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Huge news. Congratulations! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah - I'm waiting on pins & needles!

      Delete
  3. wow wait you spring that on us and NO MEDIA at all. And i thought you were our friend :) Congrats and you are such a secret keeper!! CANT WAIT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still kind of don't believe it since I have zero pictures lol

      Delete
  4. How exciting is that! Can't wait to 'meet' him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you! It will be a lot of fun figuring out your new guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for it - they're also going to be SO HOT when they get down here

      Delete
  6. A Belgium horse! How exciting! And very exciting since you bought it without a picture of the horse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Everyone keeps asking me if he can understand English lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads