EOW No. 24

Happy November and I hope y'all had a fun and spoooooky Halloween celebration!  Bowie and I went to our neighborhood Halloween parade and handed out candy (or rather I handed out candy and Bowie pouted at having to be dragged along).  The weather was perfect, and it was so fun seeing all the neighborhood kiddos in their costumes.  The Halloween parade is a Big Deal for our neighborhood, and we had a few hundred kids attend this year.

Rain rain, we can’t get enough of rain.  We had some massive rainstorms last week and we’re about to get dumped on this weekend as well.  As much as we need it and as much as my lawn loves it, I forgot how painful the mud is to deal with.  My shoes and boots have been caked with mud when I walk the dog, and our horses are kept inside for fear of slipping or pulling their shoes.  Slipping on Texas clay is no joke (cue leg breaking here).  Cooped up, bored horses and dogs are an unfortunate side effect as Texas tries to bring itself out of its year-long drought.

We’ve also had one of our warmer falls this year, but despite the increase in temps, the horses have started to grow their shaggy winter coats.  And then we’ll have an 80 degree afternoon, and they’ll get hot and sluggish.  Now that it’s November, I suppose that it’s time to think about pulling out their blankets and also our own big coats.  Mae’s blanket has lasted three years, despite her best attempt to rip it to shreds.  I bought Dalton a size 81 turnout blanket; hopefully that fits the giant.  

In celebration of fall, we bought a big jug of apple cider last weekend.  And then proceeded to use it to make apple cider cocktails.  Below are what we tried - boozer, beware.  These are very tasty and it’s very easy to drink multiple, particularly of the maple bourbon apple cider one.

Apple cider margaritas with mezcal 

Maple bourbon apple cider 

Alex recommended Holo Taco nail polish to me a few weeks ago and I ordered a few bottles, just in time for me to have glow-in-the-dark nails for Halloween.  They provide endless amusement and the glitter nail polish is so sparkly and pretty.  I highly recommend them for yourself or to gift to friends.

Wish us luck that we don't get washed away this weekend!

Comments

  1. Maple bourbon maple cider?! Are you kidding me? I'm in charge of beverages for a party this weekend and you bet this is going on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO good - let me know if you end up trying it!

      Delete
  2. How long did the glow in the dark polish last? I've had people ask me how long it lasts and I'm always like... look, I'm not a good barometer for that. I go to the barn every day. NOTHING lasts at the barn. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It lasts - your nails will glow all night! And my nails get wrecked at the barn too

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads