Excellent babies

I am typing this whilst sitting in the middle of a window-rattling thunderstorm.  On Friday, we had a 40 degree temperature drop and miserable rain.  Trainer was out of town for the weekend and I was dreading riding, anticipating bored, spicy horses.

I am so happy to say that I was completely wrong about them.  And I wanted to use this post, not to whinge about the weather but to brag about my excellent babies.  As I’ve mentioned before, we share our barn with the collegiate equestrian team and they hold NCAA meets at our facility.  They hosted back to back meets over the weekend, during which no one else is allowed to ride or turn out.  Folks, that’s two days of no turnout or riding.  

On Friday evening, I was able to squeeze Dalton into a very short hack during the reset of the competition ring.  It was in the low 40s, windy, and completely dark out.  There were girls cheering and screaming from different parts of the property and tables / speakers / chairs / outdoor heaters were littered all around the arena.  Dalton looked around at all the hullabaloo (admittedly bug-eyed) and was tensed up, but we went straight into walk / trot around the competition dressage ring for 10 minutes WITHOUT ANY SPOOKS.  This horse has never been to a show before.  This horse is five years old.  This horse had been locked in his stall all day.  Since I’ve had him, I have never been prouder than during those 10 minutes.

The next day was sunny but still in the low 40s.  The college meet finished up at 4 pm, so I hacked both Mae and Dalton at sunset.  Both of them were perfect perfect perfect.  I rode Mae in the gloaming and she puttered around, just happy to finally get out of her stall.  I’ve ridden Mae in the outdoor arena at night without lights before, so I know she can behave in the dark but am so happy (and impressed) that she chose sanity.  At age 10, is she finally growing up and maturing??

I have had that horse that goes berserk when he/she hasn’t been turned out in two days.  Or when it’s windy out.  Or if there was a sign on the side of the arena.  Or if the jump standards are moved two feet off center.  I was pleased as punch that both of them kept their minds and manners through the absolutely insane weather and other activities that go on around the barn.

An absolute gem

Now I’ll just have to remember this feeling the next time the ponies are being brats.


Comments

  1. Aaaaaw...you should be proud, Ruth! Yay for your two "babies":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm A+ usage of gloaming, I love that word. And I'm so glad your babies were good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man that’s so hard when they can’t get turn out!! So glad to hear that they were both so mature about it tho!! Even with all the buzzing activity !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the competitions and the weather, the horses have been kept inside for an awfully long time :/

      Delete
  4. yay for sane horses (you saw my idiot horse with the baby stroller) HA! Glad you got to ride and have fun. That sounds like a busy barn on those weekends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our barn is always a hive of activity, which can be good because it gets the ponies acclimated to it. But yeah, sometimes all you want is a little peace and quiet

      Delete
  5. What good baby horses!!!! That sounds like quite a mad house at the barn for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was madness this past weekend but I think the college meets are done for the year!

      Delete
  6. I love the color of that horse!! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads