No end to the heat

Early this week, I was just thinking we got through a heat wave this past weekend only to check the forecast and see 100 degree temperatures for all of next week.  It just doesn’t stop.

This past Saturday, I got to the barn at 7 am and was done with both horses by 10 am - and it felt like I had sweat buckets by then.  It’s going to be a challenge figuring out when to ride for the next three months.  I go to work too early in the morning to make morning rides a reality and early evening is still too hot.

What are we to do in a heat wave, which feels like it’s the beginning of summer and not a one-time occurrence?

I know turning on the oven seems like a massive mistake when it’s over 100 degrees outside.  However, we needed a way to use up all the jalapenos that our garden is producing, so I’ve been baking loaves of jalapeno cheese bread.  Y’all may remember that I did this years ago but now we’re making sourdough jalapeno cheese bread - a variation on a theme, if you will.  Ugh, it’s so good guys.  I know the last thing I need to eat is more bread and cheese but this is really worth it.  My sourdough starter has been dormant in my fridge for awhile so it’s time to wake it up and put it to work!


Alongside my normal summer reading, I’ve added a list of children's books.  Usually when gifting books, I’ll have read the material first so it felt strange to gift children's books (even board books) to my nephew before having read them.  It’s immaterial that he’s only 8 months old - I still want to make sure it’s good stuff!  It feels simultaneously silly and delightful to pick up picture books from the library.  Here are a few of the books that I’ve pre-read for my nephew and enjoyed:

Jon Klassen’s Hat Trilogy starting off with I Want My Hat Back

Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett

Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein

As for another horse-related, non-riding activity that you can do in the shade, I finally decided to clean my brushes.  I’m not sure when the last time was that I did this but they were grossssss.  I bought this effervescent brush cleaner (which WORKS) and followed the instructions exactly.  10 minutes later, I had a bucket full of mucky water and clean brushes that I laid out in the sun to dry.  Quick and easy and now I have no excuse not to clean my brushes more often.


Comments

  1. I really need to clean my brushes... But then I forget so it doesn't happen? Not an excuse, but... And I hate the heat. And the humidity. And the bugs. So pretty much all of it? And I don't live in Texas so it's not miserable by those standards. Just what you would consider cool. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BUGS are my nightmare and they come out in full force every summer. Good thing I picked an outdoor hobby huh?

      Delete
  2. OMG sourdough jalapeno cheese bread sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good and smelled awesome baking in the oven

      Delete
  3. Ooooh I desperately need to clean my brushes but keep forgetting to buy any cleaner, so this just reminded me to add to the smartpak cart I have going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was embarrassing how dirty my brushes were. I only used half of tube for four brushes

      Delete
  4. I refuse to put my oven on but alas the AC peeps are here now checking our AC out (I smell a big bill coming!) UGH. It is hot as hell here too. And yes throughout next week as well. ICK> DONE WTIH THIS SHIT! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have our AC units inspected this spring but will definitely do it this fall. I am really over this heat (I think I say that every summer), how do we do this every year???

      Delete
    2. I saw Idaho is 51 degrees at night and 60 during day. Move west they say :)

      Delete
    3. ::Checking out real estate in Idaho::

      Delete
  5. I think you should switch from regular riding to water polo in the summer. That will at least keep your feet cool?

    Is it mean to tell you that it's been in the 70s during the day and cool at night here? Perfect bread making weather! I think some of my hot peppers are almost ripe, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on our how summer is turning out, water polo sounds like a good hobby to take up. Bryan was up there for work this week and said it was downright chilly at night!

      Delete
  6. It was 106* here BEFORE THE OFFICIAL START OF SUMMER. What is this nonsense?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summers are becoming unbearable in Karachi. Now we are having long Monsoon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads