EOW No. 23

It’s fall now and absolutely grand.  After the forever hot of this summer, we are finally experiencing deliciously cool mornings and warm, sunny afternoons.  Bryan, Bowie, and I just got back from a vacation at Broken Bow, Oklahoma.  Broken Bow is situated next to a state park and a big lake about three hours away from Dallas.  We hiked, boated, and relaxed outside to our hearts’ content.  The cabin we rented was tucked away from the other houses and Bowie ran around, sniffing all the new smells.  Surprisingly, besides two gigantic tarantulas, we didn’t see any other critters while we were out there.  The weather was absolutely perfect while we were out there.  Oklahoma hasn’t received any rain either so everything was dry and dusty; lake levels are down 12 feet from where the normal shoreline is!  The only thing that could’ve made the trip better was if there wasn’t a burn ban while we were out there and we could have had a campfire.

Our backyard at the cabin

I certainly underestimated Oklahoma as well as the joy in taking a short break in October.  I am putting it on my calendar as a reminder for next year - go travel in the shoulder seasons, you get the absolute BEST weather and the least crowds.  Bryan’s family in Michigan received their first snow shower this week, I guess in some places they’ve already jumped directly into winter.

You all have to agree that one of the best things about fall is fall food.  Although I haven’t fired up the ol’ slow cooker, it’s certainly getting to be that season.  This week, I got into the Halloween spirit and made these black velvet cupcakes.  The recipe was ON POINT and incredibly easy - don’t feel as though you need to make any alterations to it.  I gifted some to our neighbors and my coworker and they loved them.



Ever since I found this homemade pizza dough recipe, we’ve been baking pizzas at home.  Nothing fancy and baked in the oven on a cookie sheet.  We finally made the decision to invest in a pizza steel and are never looking back.  We bought this one from Made In (love all their pots and pans) and the pizza that comes out is stellar.  After this, I may not ever order out for pizza ever again.

For my friends with horses in cold weather, do you all have heated water buckets?  We’re thinking of investing in some this winter in case we get the same freak weather we’ve had the last few years.  The auto waters have frozen over a handful of times but not consistently every year.  Let me know if you think they’re worth it and if you have a specific brand you recommend (or don’t).


Comments

  1. We have a pizza steel and they are so so amazing! Totally agreed on never ordering pizza again. The cabin setting looks wonderful, what a great get away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it took me this long to use one of them (smh)

      Delete
  2. Yay for having a grand time in Oklahoma, which admittedly a state I don't know much about. And send some of those cupcakes over:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heated water buckets scare me if I'm being honest. I use trough de-icers outside and have 1 heated muck bucket that I've used OUTSIDE, but I won't use them inside. I use the insulated water bucket covers and they work very well in the barn and do keep the ice out of the buckets. It it's really cold (single digits), I'll have a film of ice, but 20? no problem. Plus they're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making pizza at home, I get my dough from Wegmans and it really good. We do still order pizza on occasion when in a stitch but it's very rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started buying 00 pizza flour to make pizza dough and it makes a big difference too!

      Delete
  5. Hi i have heated buckets for my own place, the barn where Remus is does not use them and they hauled hot water a few times last year which I am way too lazy to do. I only put them out for the minis when it is that cold. and I also have a muck bucket with a heater that i fill up for them when it is cold for sustained time. Less chance of burning down the barn. I just monitor any heated things (Same as fans in the summer) and try to not have them on when not needed. And now i want pizza. Gee thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think we'll only have them out in the rare instance that we'll need them (hopefully never this winter)

      Delete
  6. What is this ice you speak of? lol. I need to go on more cabin camping trips. I think that would be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me we need to camp during the seven day window when the weather is perfect for it. Got to get it in before it hits 110* again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? During the two weeks of the year when the weather is nice in the south

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads