EOW No. 25

Just when I was starting to tell everyone what nice weather we've been having in north Texas for this time of year, we have had two major storms blow through, with tornado sirens blaring for a full 20 minutes telling everyone to seek shelter each time.  We went from mid 70 temperatures yesterday back into the 30s today.  Of course, I just got back from the UK where it was SNOWING (in March!).  However, my allergies and the trash can full of used tissues are telling me it's spring.

Spring is birthday season - there's lots of family to be celebrated and a surfeit of cake and presents.

Spring is shedding season for all of the animals - there are clumps of hair coming off both horses and a white shower of dog hair all around the house.

Spring is when the year still feels like a bucketful of promises - places to go and people to see.  Just the promise is enough to get us on our feet and outside, despite the weather.

I hope y'all have been having a sane spring, despite the crazy weather on the west coast and the snow that's been bludgeoning the east coast.

Things I've loved this spring:



First Generation by Frankie Gaw - Frankie Gaw has put almost my entire childhood worth of food into a cookbook.  He is a Taiwanese American who grew up in Ohio and his recipes reflect almost all of the same dishes that we had on our family table when I was growing up - from cold marinated pickles and fan tuan to tomatoes with eggs and whole steamed fish.  Despite being an American Born Chinese, I'm not really a fan of Chinese food but I do like Taiwanese food (stark difference).  It's become easier over the years to scour the internet and find Taiwanese recipes that I like and am familiar with but this collection became a must have once I checked the book out from the library and flipped through the pages.  I've already made his Cincinnati Chili with Flour Noodle recipe to great success (chili and noodles, two of my fave things) and can't wait to try his dumpling and bao recipes.

Vuori Dash Shorts - Remember last summer how I was desperately trying to find athletic shorts that had pockets for me to throw keys / phone into while walking the dog?  Found them!  I ordered these shorts in olive (size small) and since then have bought two more pairs.  These shorts run true to size.  They are not too short, even on my long legs, and there are so many pockets with zip up options!  The elastic waistband is wide and comfortable and these shorts also don't come with built in briefs (although Vuori also has shorts that do have that).

Kosas AHA + Enzyme Exfoliating Body Wash - This body wash is a miracle worker that I have been using for the past 1.5 years.  Both my sister and I have psoriasis and mine is a much tamer version compared to what my sister has.  But I'd still get scaling down both sides of my upper legs, particularly in the summer time when the sweat / fabric combination would exacerbate the condition.  Enter the Kosas body wash, which I got on a whim.  There is nothing in its description that says it's helpful for those with psoriasis.  However, since using it, I haven't had a big break out.  It's not surprising as AHAs are known to be helpful with psoriasis but I wasn't expecting quite a difference like this.  I'm not sure if this is true for anyone else but if you do have a minor skin condition, you may want to try a body wash that has AHAs (of which there are many now) and see if that may help.


Comments

  1. I have bookmarked those shorts for the next time a pair of mine dies, they look amazing. Glad ya'll have made it through the storms, sounds harrowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great recipe book. Sorry to hear about your allergies. That body wash sounds like a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made dumplings from the cookbook this weekend - they turned out really tasty

      Delete
  3. this weather is drunk. So I am suffering from pollen too and it was 22 degrees this am. I SHOULD NOT HAVE ALLERGIES in this weather. And we will be 80 in 48 hours again. CRAY CRAY WEATHER UGH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo...that body wash sounds fab, Ruth:) And thanks for the heads up on that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads