A bit of gardening

Zen Garden
There are those who will trod on your life, leaving footprints where they have no right to be.  Erasing them, raking them clean like a zen garden, which you want with all your might to be done quietly and expeditiously, will take patience and care.  This fall has been tromping footprints all over the damn place, not at any fault of its own.  Disruption of routine, of what I know and what I believed to be true, has occurred on a more frequent basis than I appreciate and I'm wiping my hands clean of the whole row.  It's time to pick up the rake that I so carelessly flung in the corner and begin anew.  Because who will tend to the garden, if not me.  Who will sculpt the path that I want to take, mold the person I hope to become and invest all that time?

December is my month.  It's the month of sparkles and pinpricks of light, buried a midst the month of shortest days and coldest nights.  It's the month of bringing friend, family and the outdoors in and holding them close to your heart.  In this month of hustle and bustle, please don't forget about yourself.  Don't allow your garden to go neglected and turn into a jumble of rocks and pebbles.  Take time to do what you love for those that you love and slow down and breathe (I really need those as tattoos, don't I).

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raking is important. You give good advice--and you've already sculpted a pretty great person.

    PS - I have a story about a BIL who failed to rake out a garden, then needed 5 times as much crushed stone to cover it (because he failed to smooth out the ruts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everything is alright, Ruth! I have been raking like a crazy woman for the past month and I feel pretty good for it, but it would be all too easy to let it fall into disrepair over the holidays - 'tis the season for giving after all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words, I´m always trying to keep that in mind. :-)

    http://tinajoathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I. hear. you. Loud and clear, baby. This fall has been HARD. Argh. For so many reasons. I'm determined to knock things out THIS WEEK so I can slow down for the rest of the month. Slow would be nice, wouldn't it. Soak it all up, sweet friend. Sounds like you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely reminder. So here's to you and a month of peace and joy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. such great words. i love the bit about raking the footprints clean like a zen garden. just reading that brings a peace to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, Ruth! I feel more than ready to wipe the slate clean too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really important stuff. Have you read that article about the "busy trap"? I feel like my takeaway from that was to remember to stop and breathe more often too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so easy to get caught up in the stress and rush of the holidays but, really, it's the most important time of year to just slow down and take it all in. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well said. I hope you have a great December Ruth, a month where you can let go of your worries. Don't be too hard on yourself eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw i loved reading that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so poignantly written. i am glad that november is over. i never felt like i had my footing the entire month - by the end i literally fell down and maybe that's what i need, just to finally relent that i had been scrambling the whole month through and get on back up again to greet december head on and with both feet planted on the ground. the glitter and lights and holiday music help too ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. If any garden hoes materialize near your garden, hit them with the rake!

    I'm sorry,,,just being silly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. we must have been separated at birth. and don't let looks fool you. you're my twin. even though December isn't my month. but that first paragraph... yes. and yes. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so true. I feel like I need a lot of raking done right about now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads