Recent reads: November 2013


I'm doing a mini celebratory dance because I reached my 2013 reading goal <throws confetti> before December hit.  I might have hit some rough patches along the way and shunned human interaction to get here but goshdarnit I'm over 100 books read and a month ahead of schedule.  Recently though, my reading tear has reached a slow crawl.  Luckily, even with my snail-paced progress, I've been able to dig up some quite excellent books such as The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling and Fables by Bill Willingham.

I hate to add any additional hype around J.K. Rowling's non-Harry Potter work but I was pleasantly surprised with her foray into mystery writing.  So even though I'm going to tell you "don't listen to anyone else says", if you like detective novels with fleshed out characters and substantial story lines, you should definitely pick up The Cuckoo's Calling.  I won't ruin anymore here but maybe later on Book Adventurers.

Unlike most of my other graphic novels, I discovered Fables on my own.  When the first comic book was published in 2002, it preempted the modernization of fairy tales that we're all too familiar with now on television, what with shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time.  And I'm not complaining; it's always fun to see your favourite fairy tale characters get a little grimy and dirty (and maybe even bloodied up and killed).  The deluxe editions are hardbound and chock full of glossy pages.  If they weren't over $20 a volume, I'd have the entire collection by now.  For the time being, I'll pace myself and hopefully this series will last me for awhile.


Comments

  1. Ooooh, now I'm very curious about Fable. I love a good take on the classic fairy tales (just finished a new painting of Little Red Riding Hood actually). I'm finally starting to read a bit for pleasure again, but with the new website and something else in the works for January I've had little time. Still, I was able to finish a book called "The Mysterious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime" and it was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Now I'm in the middle of "Mrs Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children," another fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the Mitch Cullin "a slight trick of the mind"? I am so swarmed with so many things and holiday is coming, I got slack in my reading (currently in "a spot of bother" -mark haddon for almost over a month now).
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, sounds all very interesting. I stopped keeping track of how many books I read this year. I don't think I made it up to 100, but I should be somewhere in the high 60s or early 70s. and I'm quite pleased with it :) congratulations to meeting your goal. I'm sure you had a fab time getting there xxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congrats on reaching your goal:) And soooooo looking forward to reading Cuckoo's Calling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo on all the good reading, girl! I am totally impressed. My reading only really occurs in bed before falling asleep so snails pace for me, but I'm down with that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OVER A HUNDRED? Goddamn, woman, you are amazing. I could barely hack out 26! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing. congrats on your 100th read for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo-hoo!!! Mission accomplished! Does this mean next year's goal will be 110? I would go the other direction, but I'm a proud under-achiever. :)

    Fable sounds pretty cool. Which volumes do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! over 100 that is crazy. i am so impressed and i wish i could claim coming even close to that number. if i read a couple books a month i feel pretty good about myself. but i have to echo what lauren sai -, the one time i can really carve out for reading is right before bed and more often than i would like, i get sleepy by the 5th page and fall asleep. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! That's an admirable goal and WOW, can I be just like you when I grow up? ;) In all seriousness tho, congrats on reaching such a goal!

    ps. Ok, you've convinced me. I am adding The Cuckoo's calling on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on reaching your goal! That is awesome! My goal for next year is to find more time for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads