Sock it to me

Red wool socks
When you were a wee one, in my opinion, potentially one of the worst things that you could get as a gift for the holidays were socks.  You were most likely aghast as to how someone could even count them as a gift and even bother to waste wrapping paper on such a present.  Come on, you'd think, they go on your feet and no one will ever see them.  They may have been one measly notch above the scratchy too-big-too-small underwear that your aunt or grandmother bought for you.

But, as part of the magic of growing up, somehow as an adult, socks turned one of the best gifts that you could receive.  What better way to show a friend or family member that you care than to let them know that you want their tootsies to remain warm and cozy?  What else can you get for the man/woman who has everything?  And with what other present can you be totally wrong in size yet still not offend someone?  Everyone wears socks, almost has to, at some point in time.  Can you even get away with never ever wearing socks, particularly in the winter time?  Besides, how better to express your whimsy and playful nature than through some funky coloured or printed dress socks?  What better compliment can you get than "oh coooool socks"?  Why does the winter weather not feel as frigid when you slip on a pair of fuzzy, woolen socks?  And those of you who have gifted socks with separate toes - you must be gunning for the grand prize there.

This year, besides going on a grand adventure, there are going to be lots of lots of toasty toes in my family.  What about you, what's your go-to holiday gift?  And please, share your argument for or against socks.


Comments

  1. I am definitely FOR socks as gifts or otherwise (especially in winter)! However, my husband and I both bought some of those Injinji socks w/ the separate toes and I can't stand them. They hurt. *pouts* Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I hated socks as a kid too. but to my defense I have to say that there simply weren't any cool and/or funky socks around when I was a kid... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Socks are almost universal...I think they are the traditional Day 4 gift during Hanukkah. (I just made that up)
    The socks we (at least, I) got for Christmas as a kid were not of the cool variety. They were on par with the underwear and one pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely FOR SOCKS! I never really got it before and used to make fun of the hubby coz that's all he would ask for Christmas. Now, I know better....heehee...will be knitting one for the kiddos soon and see how they like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes to socks! It's the kind of thing that's hard to buy for yourself and that's SO NICE to have. Back when I was knitting, I spent a holiday season knitting socks and mittens for all my people. What a pain that was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not even kidding, I wait for socks every Christmas from my mom now. I always need new socks, I wish I'd been as enthusiastic about them as a kid (they were a standard Hanukkah gift, along with day-of-the-week underoos). Who can argue against socks??!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO TRUE! I hope we both find lots of fun and cozy socks under our trees this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best is that you can find Smartwool socks at discount prices at Nordstrom Rack. Who doesn't want merino wool, sweat-wicking $20 socks at half the price?!

    My go-to present depends on the person. Right now, making savory food "gift baskets" from places like TJ Maxx + Marshall's/Home Goods works nicely. Like, a small cutting board + lemon olive oil + samples of raspberry and fig balsamic vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just bought my mom socks!! she is for sure the person who has everything. in fact if she thinks of something "you could get for her" she will literally go out and buy it after she has thought of it and told you about it (so then it obviously becomes something she now already has!). on top of that she doesn't use much of anything. sometimes things just stay in the bag. it's a problem. a, you know, deeper issue. but at christmas it is so frustrating. so i buy her things like lots of socks.

    my go-to is books. i always end up buying everyone some sort of a book. and i also love funny things like jesus toast stamps and such. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. i totally agree with you. lately i've been finding a lot of things that i love as an adult that i used to not like when i was a kid. socks for sure! i feel like the tables has turned cos i used to worry that my nieces and nephews would think i was lame for gifting them books and not toys for christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is so funny because its a bit of a family joke my mum is obsessed with buying socks at xmas time! My dad sent me a text the other day while they were shopping that said I think your mum is going to open her own sock shop! But although we laugh about it, I would be totally flummoxed if I didn't get any socks from her haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pro-socks! I always make sure I have a pair to wear at work when I'm staying in the office, but I just love them in general. Today I had sheep socks, super dignified and professional, I did take them off for the client meetings though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am FOR socks as gift because I always have cold feet and love to have lots of warm socks! Books are always great gifts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my god, it's so true. I actually requested socks for Christmas last year - the soft, fuzzy, warm-your-toes-and-make-you-cozy-all-over kind. Funny how priorities change with age. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's funny because I actually love giving/receiving socks, but I'm not one for actually wearing them? But who knows, maybe that will change if I get older haha. Hope you have a good weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads