Emerging from the cave

Society6
With all that's happened this summer, when I have a free moment to myself, I've been hiding out in the cave that is my apartment (which I've explained here).  It allowed me a bit of time to catch my breath and clear my head of almost everything and do things as mundane and routine as sort through mail and vacuum.  Rick joked that when I went to Portland last week, I went on a "cavation" instead of a "vacation" because even in Oregon, my sister and I hid out in the equivalent of her cave.

There's no avoiding people though, no matter how hard you try, and Real Life People do care about you and wonder where you've gotten to, particularly when you've disappeared for a few months.  So when I emerged from the cave this weekend, I was immediately bombarded and subsequently quickly overwhelmed.  Indeed, I believe the number of social interactions I've had in this past week alone have outnumbered all of them from the past few months of summer.  But even at this point - only midweek - I'm exhausted.  I'm tired of shouting over too-loud-music and being shoved and poked and prodded every which direction.  I'm beat down from being "on my game" and paying close, close attention to what everyone is saying (and also what they're not saying).

Maybe one needs to practice being social.  Maybe one needs to build up the stamina, like training for a marathon.  Maybe I shouldn't have jumped back into things, both feet first, and just stuck my toe in the water as an initial test.  All I know is, tonight I'm scurrying back into my cocoon, chrysalis, cave and staying here until the shadows stop moving and the roar of noise dies down.


Comments

  1. If I didn't need to occasionally restock ammo, malt liquor and smokes I'd never leave the cave. :D

    Maybe we do need to rebuild our social stamina, bit by bit. I hope your batteries recharge soon. At least the drain was for a good cause. I know those RLPs were happy to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it certainly sounds like you need to avoid going to the places with loud music. For you, a social outing in a coffee shop or a park sounds more your style (unless I have it all wrong). But there is certainly nothing wrong with finding your cave the most comforting place :) I often do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all go through phases of being more or less social. at least I hope so. I wouldn't want to practice it xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear! i hope you get some much needed rest. it definitely sounds like you need to recharge a bit. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes I think I could quite happily be a hermit. When people mention that I don't have kids and 'what will I do in my old age' I actually think I can't wait!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand, Rooth. I'm not a social person one, and it's taxing being around people...seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need balance in my social and down time too. And by balance, I mean a LOT of down time if I'm going to manage any social time. And my social time is never happy when it involves yelling over loud music or smoky rooms or lots of booze. Give me a cave anytime over that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My number 1 trait as a textbook introvert is the need to "recharge" after extended periods of socialization. My skin starts to ache otherwise. Alone time is crucial! Retreat to the cave! Take me with you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand your feelings. I need a lot of alone time and sometimes too much social interaction overwhelms me. I definitely need more down time than social interaction!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i totally understand what you're saying! i don't enjoy social interaction much and i had to do a lot of them especially when i used to work. i guess i always felt like fish out of water. i enjoy my downtime now (which i have more of) without the pressure of feeling like i need to go out all the time. i live far away from my friends so i don't have them dragging me out ever few weeks or so but the funny thing is is that they always call me! :) just to check up on me. haha. perhaps i'm too extreme of an introvert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear ya! I can't handle weekend after weekend of activity or even too much socializing at work. I just need some breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i understand! i have always been that way. i do love to socialize but definitely not frequently. i tend to be a cave dweller a lot, so usually when i do go out i think "ah! i need to do this more often!" also the ways in which we like to socialize change over time too. being with just one other person is socializing in my book these days. maybe the loud music scene and such is just something you aren't into right now also. recharge and maybe do the toe dipping next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe you should emerge a bit more slowly, but yes real life people do care and wonder. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads