The Office "Home-Edition"

If only this is what I looked like at my desk. Buy this here!

Much like some people who are lucky enough to work from home, I’ve been acclimating to the “home office.”  Because of my continued limited mobility, it’s actually much easier for me to work from home, so all of this has been a blessing in disguise.  Getting around the “real-life” office on crutches was exhausting, and I was always wiped out by the time I got home.  My current office is an office nook off the kitchen, which is surrounded by windows on two sides and looks out the front of the house.  Because of my view, I feel like the unofficial neighborhood watch, as I subconsciously note the coming and goings of the neighbors, who’s observing proper social distancing (and who isn’t), and the different dogs who are getting walked numerous times during the day.

Now that I’m doing everything from home, I’m also enjoying the company of my new coworkers.  One of them takes frequent breaks (from what, I don’t know), plays video games, and refers to the back patio as his “office.”  The other one does a perimeter check around the house every half hour and is inclined to bark at baby strollers in the middle of video conference calls.  Both of them try to be very quiet (okay maybe not Bowie) when I am on calls, which seems like is all day long. 

I know I’m fortunate to be working still.  We had company-wide layoffs of 25% of our workforce two weeks ago and we’re still trying to fill in the gaps.  But it’s a strange feeling of being tethered to the desk but also in your own home.  Working from home has turned into working all the time, nights and weekends included.  It’s as if everyone knows that you have nowhere to go and nothing else to do so might as well try to knock out everything at once.

To date since the coronavirus has gotten bad in the US, Bryan’s done one flight.  They have new sanitation protocols for all of the planes.  Everyone is optimistically booking travel for the end of April and beginning of May but again, but I think that’s a stretch.  That being said, the bookings are keeping their company hopefully, which also keeps all of the pilots employed.

There are other things - non-work that are keeping us entertained and sane and prevent us from annoying Bowie any further.  I’ll be sure to share what those are in my next post (don’t worry, it’s not only sourdough).  I hope you all are healthy and safe - please do let me know what you’re enjoying in your new “office” environment.

 

Comments

  1. Glad to hear you're adapting, even if you're struggling (like me!) to ever be "off".

    I'm enjoying the lack of commute (I gained 10 hours back in my week!), eating my lunch on the porch to enjoy the sunshine, being able to walk back and snuggle bebe goats on my breaks.... And I KNOW my dogs love not being crated and getting to sleep on the couch ALLLL day 😁

    I'm also equal parts grateful and nervous about my husband continuing to be at work (essential personnel at the prison) - on one hand, I'm pretty sure we couldn't tolerate 24/7 interaction indefinitely 😂 on the other hand, there a very real possibility he's going to be exposed at work and being it home to me eventually. I'm just trying to take it day by day right now 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your animals are thrilled that you're home all the time now!

      Really hope that your husband stays safe and you both stay healthy. Keep the baby goat pictures coming!

      Delete
  2. So glad that you're still able to work! And that you don't have to go to and from an office environment on crutches. Definitely a silver lining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all digging for those silver lining these days lol

      Delete
  3. I've always known but the SIP proves yet again to me - I am easily entertained. I watched my sourdough culture burp a lot yesterday and it tickled me pink everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg the sourdough refs are killing me. :) I think I am going to listen to Sourdough again this week. I need a laugh. Also glad you can stay home and glad it timed with your crutches etc. Also I love my four legged coworkers much more than when the two legged one stays home to work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL! Also, any other light-hearted or funny reads you want to share? I'm putting a list together

      Delete
  5. Your new work mates sound like a handful, Ruth! LOLZ...but yeah, so glad to hear you are managing ok and that you and Bryan are adjusting. I feel bad for everyone who has been laid off:( Life is hard enough as it is, and losing your job....sigh....I do hope things get back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way and as long as the state of world affairs is like this, no one is hiring. Just gotta take things day by day

      Delete
  6. Working from home is definitely a strange feeling. Especially when it's not normally a work from home job. I am glad it's easier for you to get around at home though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brianne. Spring in Texas is a rough time to be stuck at home but it could always be worse

      Delete
  7. It's good to hear you have well adjusted to working from home. I have heard funny stories from friends about virtual meeting bloopers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be very odd when we finally have to go back into the office

      Delete
  8. Heey Rooth, glad you are safe, healthy and recovering from you surgery at home in your home-office! I've been working home as well and go to work only 2-3 times a week. It feels strange to work at home even though I can get sleep in late a bit than the usual.
    Keep the sourdough coming!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dog likes to bring me a squeaky toy when I'm "talking to myself" (i.e., in a virtual meeting). It's just great, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads