Done bouncing

Society6
I’ve been in a ping-pong ball in 2017.  I’ve had more than one moment where I’m stuck in a metal tube on the way from one place to another place, breathing recycled air and wondering how many people have squatted in this same seat, anxiously waiting to just Get There.  After finally Getting There, it then gets flipped around to excited anticipation of Coming Back - lather, rinse, repeat.  So it is that this year, any moments without movement, I wish I could say I’ve spent chewing on the end of a pen and brainstorming short story ideas or putting together a Plan for the Year or even updating my resume.  Instead, because chewing on the end of a pen is gross, I’ve been sleeping instead.

Sleeping like a rock has been easy to do, lately.  Even with the window open and a storm banging around outside, dropping the temperature twenty degrees in one night.  Even with the emergency landing with oxygen masks that B had to execute earlier this week that would have left me wobbly in the knees (everyone is okay and they handled the incident like the cool, calm professionals they are).  Even with medical emergency after medical emergency with my extended family and someone ending up in the hospital because of heart issues every other month.

I had an overnight in Houston last month and instead of visiting the friends and familiar haunts, I went to bed at 4:30 pm and slept soundly until the next morning.  During my week long stay in London, instead of enjoying the briefly sunny and warm-ish spring weather that they were having, catching up with people, and even journeying over to the Forbidden Planet, I slept with the blackout shades down.

There is not just a little guilt.  The missed personal connections with old friends, failing to take advantage of the pleasant weather while we still have it, skipped meals, etc.  However, feeling wholly rested / untired is similar to getting a new (albeit) temporary lease on life.  It’s what I need to feel mentally prepared to take on the day and its challenges.  There’s certainly also the philosophy that you must take care of yourself so that you can take care of others.

So now you see me, sometimes you won’t.  Most likely, when you don’t, I’ll be buried in a pillow, trying to play catch up so I can feel like a normal person again.  Or as close to normal a person like myself can possibly be.


Comments

  1. Ugh, dude. I'm sorry you've hit one of those awful life-phases. We all get them. And attempting to sleep through it all is completely understandable. It sucks. The self-imposed-guilt doesn't help things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are going through this...I really hope you feel better soon!

    http://roadesque.com
    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, hope you are feeling better soon, get rest while you can because eventually things try and deplete you

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about the not-so-good stuff happening lately, Rooth. I hope everyone is ok now. Medical emergencies are the worst:( Anyhoo, I think you should continue what you're doing and getting the rest you need as much as you can. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's never fun to miss out on exciting things and time with others in order to sleep but sometimes that's what you need. I hope things calm down for you and people feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some seasons you really need to prioritize rest! Recharge, renew! Sleep is good thing. And certain seasons drain the energy and life out of you more than others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...where I’m stuck in a metal tube on the way from one place to another place, breathing recycled air and wondering how many people have squatted in this same seat, anxiously waiting to just Get There. That's what I call excellent writing, Rooth. Love it. Now, excuse me while I go bury myself in a pillow. too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry Rooth...this has been a difficult stretch for you with all the hubbub and unpleasant surprises. But now all I can think about are the Klopeks who may have sat in my plane, train or subway seat. Is just washing clothes enough? Now I'm not sure. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads