First lesson in years

So of course, having not ridden for the entire week and jetlagged from my work trip, I showed up to the barn bright and early on Saturday to be told to join a lesson with the advanced riders.  On Dalton.  This was the first lesson that I’ve had in years (three) and first lesson ever on Dalton.  I had not even ridden him with my trainer in sight.

I’ve mentioned before that Dalton is out of shape and that his back end and top line are underdeveloped.  He is heavy on the forehand, so Trainer gave me some pointers on how to work with him so he starts to carry himself, rather than relying on the rider for support.  His right lead canter is much weaker than his left, so I’m to engage the outside rein and inside leg to make him work on carrying himself.  I’ve also been half seating the canter.  Nope, I was told to sit the canter as best as I could and tighten my body / core.  After a few circles in both directions at the canter, Trainer set a cross rail and said it was time to start retraining my eye to see distances and also wanted me to feel how Dalton is over fences.

Over our first fence off the right, Dalton broke into a trot right before the fence.  The jump was piddly and he didn’t care to make any big effort, particularly on his weaker side.  Closing my leg before the fence, we finally got a sustained canter over the cross rail.  Tracking off the left, Trainer turned the jump into a vertical and I focused on the ride on the flat instead of the fence.  He cantered over it beautifully (although heavy on the landing side).  His stride is so big and he is used to taking the gap over jumps.

This guy will follow you around the arena if you let him

Since the lesson, both Trainer and I have been spending time on flatwork with him, specifically focusing on the right lead canter.  Last week and rather timely since I was sick with the flu, he was starting to test his boundaries and leaning in and forward HARD at the canter on both leads.  Not quite a buck but definitely a move that would unseat you.  Trainer put him in a gag bridle to help provide some lift and worked on the right lead.  Voila over the weekend, perfectly balanced right lead canter that I could sit and steer easily.  This past Sunday, I exclusively worked on coming down on the bit at the walk and the trot.  I did some refresher reading on how to ask for contact on the bit and wouldn’t you know it, both D and Mae responded accordingly.  

I’ve still been keeping Dalton’s rides to ~20-25 minutes.  It’s also starting to get warm out so we have quite a bit to do on endurance and stamina.  Trainer has an out of town show this weekend so we’ll keep chipping away at the flat.  It always comes back to fundamentals, doesn’t it.  If any of you have good flatwork fundamental resources / reference books, please share!


Comments

  1. how do you ride that dinosaur?? LOL I am so glad you are getting back into it and getting used to the big fella :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not only Dalton who is out of shape :D Ugh I also need to build up my muscles

      Delete
  2. Sounds like productive schooling with Dalton! What a journey he had to get to y'all (just caught up on his back story).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like it was taking him forever to get to us - but now that he's here, he's made himself quite at ahome

      Delete
  3. he has such a cute face - glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest pic above, Ruth! Oh em gee...he is huge!:) As I've said before, don't really know anything about horses or riding, but I still like reading these updates for sure:)
    PS I did not like the second Fantastic Beasts movie too much either, and I think this third one is a lot better! A lot of questions answered for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay good to know re Fantastic Beasts - Bryan likes the series more than I do so I'll have to let him know!

      Delete
  5. Lessons are a ton of fun, especially when you haven't been doing them for a while. Looking forward to hearing about your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a little excited / nervous for them because it's been so long - need to get over those jitters!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads