EOW No. 20

Spring has sprung and we’re in the thick of it.  It’s warmer, we’re getting a good amount of rain, and I’ve already gotten my first mosquito bite …right on my face.  

Tis the season

Bryan and I finally bought new bed pillows.  We’ve been procrastinating buying new pillows for a year (too many choices) and finally decided to buy the bullet.  They’re some type of adjustable memory foam stuffing ones that we grabbed at Home Goods - seemed more reasonable than paying $100 per pillow as recommended by the Internet.  Holy cow, they’ve been a difference maker when it comes to quality of sleep!  I don't wake up during the night anymore and actually wake up feeling rested.

When Bryan’s parents were here a few weeks ago, Bryan and his mom went to the nursery, brought home baby vegetable plants, and put them in the flowerbed in our backyard.  We previously had rose bushes in the flowerbed, but Bryan ripped them all out this spring because they never grew very prettily and also, as they get late afternoon direct sun, the actual roses would get baked out of colour.  In any case, the tomato plants have already started budding out, and I guarantee we’ll get actual tomatoes to pick and eat before they get any sort of warm weather in Michigan.

It’s almost been a full year since my dad has been home from the stroke rehab facility, and the anniversary of my mom taking over management of the household.  The lady's been on a roll this week.  

Early this week, Mom asked me what podcasts I was listening to and if I had any recommendations.  I wasn’t aware she even knew what podcasts are.  I sent her one from This American Life but if anyone has any other recommendations for an older Asian lady, please shout it out in the comments.  

Mid week, she sent the "kids" a group text letting us know that she’s watching a series on The School of Greatness by Terry Crews on “Overcoming Toxic Toughness & Finding True Power.”  Not aware that my mom knew who Terry Crews was and I’m also curious as to how she’s finding her programming.  

Today she sent us a text saying that taking birth control pills is proven to deplete dopamine - no citation provided.  When my mom comes up with new material in this manner, typically it’s because someone’s been chirping in her ear but I’m not sure I know any of her friends who I can link with a combination of podcasts, Terry Crews, and birth control.  I will have to look into it this weekend.

This week I’ve been reading The Letters of Shirley Jackson, which is a collection of over 30 years worth of letters that she wrote her husband, parents, and agents.  Shirley Jackson is the author of The Lottery, We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and The Haunting of Hill House, among other stories.  However one of the most delightful books I’ve read of hers is Life Among the Savages, where she describes raising small children and her family life in the 1950s.  I’ll come back with a recommendation on Letters if it’s good (it is thus far) but I do recommend you check out Life Among the Savages if you like authors with a ripping wit and sense of humor.


Comments

  1. I saw some gorgeous rose bushes tonight and immediately decided we need a dozen rose bushes. Your experience with roses is probably very similar to how it would go in my yard. I'd plant them then, because it's about to be 500,000, they'll fry like an egg before July. But they're so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the flip side of that, my mom has some lovely rose bushes that my aunt planted for her. They are in the shade so maybe you could put them there?

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! Your mom is awesome! :) And yay for the tomatoes.
    PS Thanks for the heads up on The Letters of Shirley Jackson. I have one of her books and have been drying to read it! The Haunting of Hill House of course:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think about The Haunting of Hill House! Her husband refused to read it because he was so scared

      Delete
  3. so glad your mom is doing so well and being a total boss :) UGH mosquitos are here too. BUT i use mosquito joe and it is WORTH IT!! it already started and we will go till about october. Game changing. Glad you got pillows that work. maybe I need new pillows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we will have to look into Mosquito Joe around the house - the attacks from them are nonstop

      Delete
  4. It's too early to plant tomatoes up here just yet so it's amazing yours are budding.

    For podcasts, the Moth is similar to This American Life so that may be another one she'd be interested in. There are also podcasts by Johns Hopkins and the Cleveland Clinic to hopefully provide science-based health information if you think that would be something your mom would be interested in? That might be a tougher sell than interesting stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are really good podcast recommendations. She's stuck on Mike Rowe's at the moment

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads