Happy 9th birthday

Society6
Last week, we celebrated Ryon’s 9th birthday, which is around 32 years old in human years.  I baked a carrot cake with cream cheese icing, he blew out the candles, and then we jumped straight into a rousing game of Pin the Tail on the Donkey.  Which didn’t really happen.  In reality, we took a birthday trail ride and had a heated argument on the trail about a manhole cover, which I ended up winning because… well, I’m the boss and also the one wearing a pair of spurs.  Later, I poured a birthday beer into his dinner (if you’re on IG, you saw this happen) and we called it an early night.  Even though he loves people, Ryon’s a bit of a wallflower in a crowd and not really a fan of getting up in the club or turning down for what, etc etc.  Maybe next year he’ll feel a little braver and we’ll go to a country western bar and do some line dancing.

As the weather turns chilly, Ryon’s on the cusp of getting his fuzzy winter coat back; several of the horses already have theirs and look like woolen teddy bears.  Soon enough I’ll have to break out his big green blanket and his spandex tank top that he wears underneath (he hates that spandex thing).  I also ordered a lovely exercise rug for us to huddle under in the arena on those particularly cold days.  I’m sure he’ll love it flapping on his backside in the wind but better than a brisk breeze up the shorts.  I can’t believe he’s been with me for nine months already and that we’re about to come full circle with this boy.  The progress he’s made is pretty darn amazing, even though at times it seems like two steps forward one step back, and the number of compliments lavished upon him are neverending.  The most oft repeated phrase I hear coming out of my mouth is “Good boy Ryon, good boy.”


Comments

  1. I want to see a picture of his warm fuzzy coat!! Happy Birthday to Ryon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Ryon! I agree with Ashley - pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw it sounds like Ryon had a nice and mellow birthday. I'm not one for hitting the clubs on my birthday either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love how you take care of him :) happy birthday ryon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! That's so cute. Happy BIrthday, Ryon !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good boy, Ryon. And good Momma too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone who wants to see pictures of horses as wooly teddy bears. It sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww! happy bday ryon! i 'm trying to come up with an image of a horse turning down for what and i can't do it. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated happy bday, Ryon! (My middle child just turned 9 today too!) You two have come such a long way, Rooth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand about the spandex. The last thing a studly wallflower wants is to attract more attention. Even though he lost the argument, he's a lucky boy.

    Happy b-day Ryon!

    PS - I thought the beer was for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, the image reminds me of Quick Draw McGraw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well, at least one guy in your life seems to be behaving... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy happy birthday to Ryon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha did he really drink a whole beer?! So awesome. Happy birthday, Ryon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I love the card. And Happy Birthday to Ryon . . . although now, it's more of a Very Merry UnBirthday. But festivity all the same . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday, Ry guy!! I hope you do sneak him a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting at some point ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to him! Can't wait to see his bushy winter coat come in! I didn't even know that happened to horses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh this is so sweet! happy birthday ryon!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads