Jump start the fall


Winding down the year during fall is one of my least favourite times of the year.  The darkness creeps into the sky earlier and earlier, and we’re soon running in the dark after work.  My car’s tire pressure sensor blinks yellow every other morning because of the drop in temperatures at night.  It seems like everybody is sick - hacking up a lung, sneezing fits, and red rimmed eyes.  Bryan nursing a sinus infection and my mom with a good, old-fashioned cold that keeps her in bed and under three layers of clothing.  At work, building maintenance keeps running the A/C in the mornings as if it wasn’t chilly enough in the office before the sun rises.  We’ve already broken out the blankets at the barn and started that awkward dance on-and-off-and-on again - the horses sweating underneath them during their inaugural appearance.

I’ve been tired this year.  I know I say I’m tired every year but this year feels more exhausting than the last.  Typically there’s some excitement for the approaching fall and winter - the holidays, the festivities, the travel.  Usually I’ve already planned out the menu for Thanksgiving, practiced a few dishes, and have moved on to Christmas cards.  This year, my half hearted attempts at self motivation end up with me in bed early with a book.  Or napping.  Or reading funny but utterly pointless comics online (here).  This fall, I’ve been able to wake up, have a cup of coffee, and go immediately into a nap afterward.

Other attempts at trying to reinvigorate myself have included:

Taking long walks (walks since Bryan can’t run without lapsing into a coughing attack while he’s sick. And it wouldn't be fair for me to try to kill him this early into our relationship.)

Eating my weight in Halloween candy (this leads to buying more Halloween candy. And cavities, I'm sure.)

Read every book I could possibly request from the Dallas Public Library system (still working on this one)

Drink lots and lots of hot tea (results in sweating, which is a kind of reinvigoration but sadly not the one I'm looking for)

The best thing to come out of these attempts is that I haven’t made myself sick or gotten sick from anyone else’s germs.  The worst thing to come out of these attempts is that these have typically been my go-to solutions for recharging myself and they aren’t working.  I’d love to hear any suggestions any of you have to kick me in the rear and get me going this fall - before fall is gone and winter is here.  There are too many things to do and too few days left to do them!


Comments

  1. Gosh! Everyone is getting sick here too. Am lucky that so far, just the usual cold and I haven't gotten it yet but I feel like it's only a matter of time. And not gonna lie...aside from being able to wear sweaters and the upcoming Halloween, I am not too big of a fan of fall myself:( I also don't sleep much at night so I feel like napping a lot during the day myself...sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knock on wood but I have been healthy so far.. but M's throat has been bothering him.. eek!
    I agree about this year.. I am exhausted and everything seems to hurt.. and I dont' know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find fall and winter so invigorating, so I feel bad that you are down. Like you said though, at least you aren't sick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you haven't picked up sicknesses from anyone else! That's an accomplishment when everyone is falling sick around you! I'm not the biggest fan of fall (probably a good thing I live in the tropics) but I am definitely looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have jumpstarted myself with the Halloween candy endeavor! What really helps is the satisfaction of stealing it from the hard-earned stashes of the local children... that just gets my energy going.

    I tend to have a lack of executive function, but when I make a today-list of only two important things to accomplish for the day, I usually can at least start on the easier one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha too funny this is sooo true. Well if you need to mentally recharge just taking a break from the computer and the phone. Spend a day binging Netflix, watch Versailles. Physically then treat yourself to a spa day. Sound like you deserve it.

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely know how you feel about being tired! I've been wanting to nap all the time, but I've been trying to fight it with mini vacations on the weekend. A change of scenery always recharges me. I hope you feel better soon!

    http://roadesque.com
    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man! I can so relate. I've been EXHAUSTED lately. And I've been trying to avoid the flu at all costs. To be honest though, I can't wait for May... I don't like Winter at all now that I'm an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though we went from summer to winter here, I really do like fall. Just not the dark at 4:30 part of it.

    I have no ideas on how to reinvigorate yourself as I'm struggling with it too. Stay healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads