Recent read #21: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I downloaded Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children before boarding a late night flight back home because the description was so interesting and the cover was so eerie.  I did not know it was a YA novel until I had gotten deeper into the story.  The main character Jacob is a disliked young man who grows up in a well-to-do family hearing wild adventure stories from his grandfather.  When said grandfather is killed by the "monster" who he references in these fantastical tales, Jacob decides that he will go and seek out the truth behind his grandfather's stories and in doing so, sets out on a grand adventure.  Jacob discovers that his grandfather grew up in a sort of orphanage, housing and protecting children of bizarre talents.  When the monsters follow him to the orphanage, he must make a decision that will change his life forever.  I may ruin it a teeny tiny bit here by telling you that this novel is the first in a series.  I was enthralled and honestly a little creeped out as I sat on the darkened plane.  The author has inserted throughout the book black and white old photographs of the "peculiar" children in their never smiling, awkward poses.  This series promises to be different, freaky and highly entertaining for those wanting an interesting adventure story.  And apparently 20th Century Fox has already closed on the rights for the screenplay so read it soon before a shoddy movie gets made out of it.

Comments

  1. I've heard and read wonderful things about this book and it's definitely on my "to read" list. I love your recent read posts as books are a HUGE part of my life!

    www.cositabella.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads