Over the Garden Wall


Despite successfully avoiding television for the majority of 2014, with the exception of my two favourites and the occasional terrible movie on TNT, I may or may not have found my new favourite tv show of the year.  It's called Over the Garden Wall and is a miniseries on Cartoon Network that was just released this month.  The show came highly recommended by my composer compadre and rightly so; the music is haunting, folkish, and beautiful.  The style is very Miyazaki-ish and the screenplay is downright clever.

The story is about two brothers, Wirt and Greg, who are lost in the strange and spooky woods and are trying to find their way home.  Emo older brother Wirt is voiced by the well-traveled pilgrim Elijah Wood, and Greg may win the award for my favourite tv show character ever.  And before you ask, yes that is an upside down teapot on his head.  See, winning already.

Each episode is less than 15 minutes (you're welcome ADD folks and small children) and even though this is a children's show, it had me laughing out loud.  Mostly at Greg.  The episodes are also filled with odd and quirky songs, much like the ones you would make up off the top of your head when singing in the shower or the car.  I had one of these songs stuck in my head all day at work (honestly, much better than one of the Pop 40 alternatives).

And just because I know you all have nothing better to do during the day than to watch YouTube videos, below is the full first chapter of the show.  At the very least, it should keep you entertained for ~10 minutes.


Comments

  1. ok, that was great! thank you so much for sharing! ps. i was pleasantly surprised to hear christopher lloyd's voice for the old man. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh, can't watch it in France. too bad because it looks fun. gotta see if I can find it somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh this looks so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! This looks delightful and also hauntingly beautiful. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun, I'll search for it in the cable guide. For some reason I can't see the YouTube link on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, this sounds fantastic. I will have to check it out! Anybody who wears a teapot as hat is my kind of person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, i have heard of this, but we have't seen it yet. i am going to try to restrain myself and wait to watch any of it until my babes get home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well if it's "Miyazaki-ish" then I might have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of this but it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol I will watch it with mushy that way if someone walks in I wont turn red. Haha It does sound unique though, maybe I will like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks adorable and, as per the rest of the internet, you had me at Miyazaki! What are your other two favourites?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, serious - Cartoon Network? :') don't worry
    I love Cartoon Network and I can see why you like
    Over The Garden Wall. It really does have this
    Miyazaki style! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rooth! How are you?? This actually looks really sweet- will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool. I can't wait to watch it with J!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eep, I love it! Speaking of clever little cartoons, did you ever watch Miniscule? I cannot believe how entertaining they are without a single word!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm interested! gonna take a look with my husband later on tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads