Great Ice Cream Adventure

Frozen magical goodness was the theme of this past weekend.  Guess who broke in her new ice cream maker?  This girl <thumbs pointing at me>!  If you follow me on instagram, you would have noticed my #greaticecreamadventure alongside all the delectable pictures I've been posting.  Ice cream for breakfast?  Don't mind if I do.  The best part about the ice cream concoctions that I whipped up this weekend though?  They're guilt-free and dairy-free!  So I may or may not be eating ice cream and only ice cream for the rest of the summer.  And you should definitely join me.

Also, if you have any favourite recipes, I'd be more than happy to try them out!  Sharing is caring.


Dairy-free matcha green tea ice cream

Adapted from Domesticated Diva

Ingredients:

One can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
2 teaspoons matcha green tea
1 cup almond milk (sweetened or unsweetened - your preference)
2 tablespoons agave nectar

Thoroughly combine the coconut milk, matcha powder (yeeesh this stuff is expensive!), almond milk, and agave.  I used a blender for this.  Place mixture in freezer for around an hour to chill.

Add the mixture to ice cream maker and churn until thick, about 15 to 20 minutes. Using a spatula, remove ice cream from maker and place in an airtight container. Put the ice cream back into the freezer for at least 2 hours to reach true 'ice cream' consistency.  Resist temptation to eat all of it in one sitting.


Swiss almond dairy-free ice cream

Chocolate-covered almonds and hazelnuts

Adapted from The Spunky Coconut

Ingredients:

1/2 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup whole hazelnuts
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Spread the almonds and hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes.  Put the still-hot toasted almonds in a mixing bowl along with half of the chocolate chips.  Cover and let sit for 3 minutes so that the heat from the almonds melts the chocolate.  Shake the hazelnuts vigorously (in covered container) until the skins come off of the hazelnuts.  Pick out the newly naked hazelnuts and add to the remaining chocolate chips.  Stir both to thoroughly coat the almonds and hazelnuts with the melted chocolate, then spread them on the lined baking sheet and chill in the freezer until the chocolate is hardened.  Try not to eat these all before the ice cream is done.

Dairy-free ice cream

Ingredients:

One can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
1.5 cups almond milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons agave nectar

Thoroughly combine coconut milk, almond milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and agave.  Again, I used a blender for this.  Freeze mixture for about an hour or refrigerate until cold.  Pour into the ice cream machine and churn for 15-20 minutes.  Transfer the ice cream to a container, then fold in the coated nuts (chopped or whole, your preference).  Freeze for around 2 hours until hardened.


Comments

  1. I'm impressed! I've never attempted homemade ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I have an ice cream maker, but hardly ever use it. This is inspiring me to whip it out again for the season. I have all the ingredients for the last one so I might give that one a try. What did you think of it? Do you think it could fool a person into thinking they were eating the sugar-eggs-cream kind of ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehrmahgerd! I need an ice cream maker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, my strawberry sounds so LAME compared to these awesome flavors. I definitely want to try the green tea. But how in the world did you break your ice cream maker, girlie? Gracious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these sound so so good. i think i may need to get an ice cream maker. i love how these are not loaded up on sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just happen to have an ice cream maker and it just happens that it's suppose to be 97 degrees tomorrow, so i think i should get to churring today. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooo...I am ALL ABOUT the green tea one. YESSS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want ice cream! Sounds delicious! Glad you are having so much fun with your ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Normally I would love this post, but not so much today. That will change, so please keep making ice cream! I like the idea of it being dairy free. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mm that sounds delicious! I presume you have an ice cream machine? I've always wanted one because I'm sure the ice cream is delicious:)
    xo Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I'll certainly be joining you but with the dairy version. :) I still have to find you that almond milk recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *drool* *more drool* Those sound so amazing. My tiny kitchen is already full of machines, and I don't think my husband would condone me bringing in yet another one. Boo. Now if it was a chocolate making machine I'm sure he would make an exception.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads