In which I talk about ice cream sandwiches

Could you eat that face?  Gladly!  Via kidrobot
As I type this, with a mysterious rash erupting on my leg, half the skin scraped off my ankle and a broken nail, it occurs to me that perhaps the life that my body would like me to live is the one where I eat ice cream sandwiches all summer long.

Do you remember when the ice cream cart would come around in elementary school and you could  have your pick of different frozen treats for 35 cents?  Creamsicles, fudgsicles, push pops, vanilla mini-cups (no one ever bought those), rainbow popsicles and the mother-of-all-treats THE ICE CREAM SANDWICH.  Little Rooth never got to buy those ice cream sandwiches because ice cream after lunch was unhealthy and frowned upon by my mom.  I used to sneak glances out from behind my book (yes, I read during lunch.  Is that a surprise to anyone?  Didn't think so.) at my lucky classmates who would either a) devour their ice cream sandwiches in as few bites as possible, which looked painful and left a smear of either the ice cream or 'bread' part on their faces or b) savor every last morsel and crumb to the point where ice cream would be slowly dripping from their sticky fingers.  When I dreamt about food at night, it would be of ice cream sandwiches.

Now that I'm a grown up and have multitudes of 35 cents AND can do what I want, I may just go buy a box of ice cream sandwiches.  See, body of mine, I do listen to some things you say.  If you're nice, I might even share.


Comments

  1. Oh man, I resisted a box of ice cream sandwiches at the grocery store the other day. I had them in my hand and talked myself out of them. I don't know that I can be as strong next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cut to eat! I wouldn´t know where to bite first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE icecream sandwiches, but icecream trucks became less appealing after all those terrible kidnapper/molester news...:-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had an ice cream sandwich but aren't they terribly impractical. Unless you eat it really quick (when there's the risk of brain freee!) doesn't the ice cream start to melt and drip down your elbow.
    But more importantly, you broke a nail? YOU BROKE A NAIL??!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I LOVE ice cream sandwiches. They don't really have them out here (WTF), so I miss them terribly! Seeing this makes me tempted to bake some cookies just so I can make ice cream sandwiches out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just trying to search the recesses of my memories for the last time I had an ice-cream sandwich. 16/17 years ago maybe? Obviously I need to rectify this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha i love ice cream sandwiches They're the best kind of ice cream regardless of the flavor (though I don't like vanilla so much)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok,so now I'm craving ice cream sandwiches. But I do miss the school ice cream truck. I always used to save up my money and get a banana split at the end of the week. It was a whole $4! Also, remember rockets? The popsicles that were red, blue and white? What ever happened to those? Probably too many e numbers or something, but they were my favourite. Mmmmmm e numbeeeeerrrrsss :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do it! I have a box on my freezer.
    I loved the creamsicle...my grandmother sold them (orange and raspberry),along with Good Humor toasted almond, chocolate eclairs, nutty ice cream cones. We didn't get them very often. But when the power went out during the summer...whew! I wish you'd been there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I have some? I would love to live in that world too, you know:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was the dork who always bought the cup of ice cream with the wooden "spoon". And then promptly got sick because I am lactose intolerant, oops. And I read during lunch, too! Knew we were friends for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeahhh ice cream sandwiches are a part of my childhood! That and Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well now I need an ice cream sandwich. I don't think my school had this option. Or my mother hid it from me if so!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cheapo ice cream sandwiches too!!!!! Though I wouldn't turn down a gourmet one either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we didn't have an ice cream cart but we had "gumdrop day" where if you were lucky you found a gumdrop in your roll you got a free ice cream after lunch. still a tragedy of the have and have-nots but oh do i remember that day i found a gumdrop, it was green.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love summer sweet treats. I recently bought a box of those otter pops :) so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ice cream carts remind me so much of childhood. It still cheers me up hearing and watching them when they do appear. I must have tried ice cream sandwich only once in my life. Though it became a recent tradition to serve ice cream cake on birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ha, too funny. I rarely ever got ice creme either. it didn't go with cold drinks. or with fruit. gives you a bad stomach. blabla... it's good to be a grown-up, isn't it...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You would love it in New England. We eat more ice cream per capita than any other place in the states - and we are the coldest part. I was only allowed to buy things from the ice cream truck once that I remember.

    It sounds like you should stay in all weekend and eat some of those sandwiches. Maybe Kaw will be on the SciFi channel....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm, ice cream sandwiches. But my favorite . . . oh wait, I'm having brain fade. You know, the cones, with the chocolate in the bottom. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. aw this was so cute. You definitely deserve a whole box!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads