Mosquitoes attack at dusk


I had a lovely lil post ready to go for today and then, this super traumatic evening happened.  Now everything I planned tonight is out the window.

As a change of pace, Ike and I went for a walk outside on the trail to the lake.  The sun was shining and birds were chirping. We were slowly plodding along when out of nowhere, the swarm attacked.  Ike tried to vigorously shake them off, flapping his short little mane at them and I swatted them away as best I could.  Little streaks of blood were dotted along his neck from the feeding frenzy and soon enough, his face and my arms started becoming an all-you-can-eat buffet.  We both had had enough of nature, turned around and made for the barn as quickly as possible.

The damn buggers definitely drank their fill; they even bit me through my freaking pants!  If I become sick in the next few days, y'all will know I contracted West Nile as well.  Either that or I'll scratch myself to death.

Sigh, mosquitoes are my least favourite Texas birds.


Comments

  1. Oh man. That is the one thing I don't miss about the south! I laugh at the people here in California who complain about "the bugs"... hah! They have no idea what little beasts live in the south. No clue. Bugs that will leave scars from their bites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate mosquitoes! That sucks that they got you, invest in some good bug spray for sure...I could not live without it because they stick to me like fruit flies..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Talk about traumatic Rooth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they make me so angry! Mosquitoes are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, mosquitoes are the worst! We're coming into dengue season here {BLEAH}. You can bet I'm carrying spray with me at all times, and staying covered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, the early evenings are the worst! I feel for you. I get bites on my ankles all the time and it just so happens that that's the itchiest area for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeek! It's almost like a horror flick! Attack of the Mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you know what they say, everything's big in Texas. Crikey, I don't even like wee mosquitoes. Here's wishing you (and Ike) a speedy recovery . . . and maybe a vat of Calamine lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ughh mosquitos! Whenever I get bit, which is frequently despite protective measures like Deet-baths, the bites swell up to egg-sized welts, bright red and hot. I once had 14 on the back of my legs. Needless to say I feel your pain! Slather yourself with benadryl cream and ice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I do NOT miss those horrid Texas mosquitos! Hope the bites heal up soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, "Texas birds". I hate them too! Next time, bug repellant or bee keeper's suit ;).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this is so disgusting and horrifying and I'm cowering in the corner of my bedroom just hoping that when I step outside this won't happen (I mean, It's winter here in OZ, so it's unlikely).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no :-( Those sound like some seriously aggressive buggers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we have had those nasty little bugs around here for the last couple months. they always get me through my clothing. i think "i hate mosquitoes" at least 20 times a day. what is their purpose? i am just not convince they have one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a horrible attack. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to ruin a nice walk around the lake, mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mosquitos are THE worst. It's crazy that mosquitos are one of the oldest living insects- they were around in dino times :) I also think the mosquitos hatched early this year- at least in my neck of the woods.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads