In summary, the story is a mix between Harry Potter, DaVinci Code and Twilight (I haven't read the series but I'm just guessing - you'll see why). Multiple times during the course of reading the book, I've put it down and said out loud, "That's enough. I really can't read anymore" but have always picked it up again. This would be the book I would have written as a preteen. And these are the reasons why:
- Dark, handsome and filthy rich knight in shining armor
- Smart, independent, stubborn and orphaned female protagonist
- Lots of time spent in libraries
- Adept horsemanship by both main characters and ample time describing it
- Blossoming, intense, almost feral teen-angsty romance
In all honesty, I will probably finish the book since I only have 100 pages to go and, unfortunately, wait anxiously for the rest of the trilogy to come out. I'll just have to cleanse myself afterward with a good dose of reality.