Pressure cooker

The pressure's on, a bit, to buy a house.  Or rather "invest in real estate" my parents suggest, as if the change in phrasing will make me more likely to plop down some dough.  I have continuously told them that I don't need the house - neither the space, nor the headache of owning property.  I quite enjoy not having to worry about a yard, appliances, and being able to call maintenance to change a burnt out light bulb.  I've told them that if I felt compelled to "invest in real estate," I could pick out some nice homebuilder stocks and build a portfolio in that way.  Candidly, I think my mom is trying to make a push for me to commit to Dallas for the long-term, so she won't lose out on another child who moves far, far away for a job.  Either way, it's making the weekly Hey Homey posts that much more real.  Please just don't tell her that I do this, okay guys.

Anyway...

How freaking cool is this week's home?  At almost 9,000 square feet on over one acre, it's meant to be a multi-purpose building that can be used both for living in as well as a work space.  I'm not exactly sure what type of profession I would use the extra room for, but I'm sure I could figure something out right?  It'd have to be something ultra-profitable though, as this place will cost you a cool $2.2 million.  Ideas anybody?





Comments

  1. I have no comment regarding home ownership or managing an investment property yourself or the stock approach.

    Look at the bookshelves in that place!!! The work space could be a library annex, with the city/county paying you rent (and providing free storage for your own collection). :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! That library! I must admit I'm not a big fan of concrete flooring like that, but it works really well for the space.

    PS Moms are too funny, aren't they? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing. I'd move in there right away. would be great for designers or artists or architects. as to buying property. I'm with you. the idea freaks me out. same way the idea of having kids freaks me out. I just can't commit to that kind of stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I felt the same way about two years ago. Which is why when we did start looking to buy a home this year, we were looking mostly at condos and co-ops. So much easier not to have to worry about the maintenance! Although, the maint. fees can be a little ridiculous. Do you you think you'll stay in Texas for the long haul?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm wow. Yeah, this is pretty amazing. The little library nook is awesome.

    And that's totally what your mom is doing...trying to get you to stay close :) Nothing wrong with that! I'm going to try and do the same thing with my kids. "You should definitely buy that house down the street..." :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bathtub! And the library! Love all the furniture! What a cool place! I totally understand your feelings! I would not even know where to buy a house because I have no idea where I will live longterm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The library nook. I am SOLD.

    Also, don't buy a house if you don't want to. It's A LOT of upkeep. My folks own the home I live in but 9 months out of the year Iz and I take care of everything and it's A LOT of work. Maybe if you want to own try a condo instead? Where they take care of the maintenance and you just live there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. that library is amazing. how cool would it be create that kind of space for the home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Property is one of the safer bets for investment at this time but being an owner definitely comes with it's share of headaches. Can't really blame your mom for wanting to keep you close though.
    This home is cool not to mention massive! That laundry room in particular is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you are totally gonna invest in that house, right?? :)

    I'm with you in that I have no desire to own property. Maybe I will one day? I think I have itchy feet, and that is a huge reason why I can't be bothered to "settle."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the industrial look of the kitchen and dining area. Looks like a fun space to cook something while chatting and entertaining friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's like the American Dream to own a home. I'd like to own because it's not rent money poured into someone else's investment. But we don't have a large enough down payment saved to take advantage of the low mortgage rates. Beautiful mixed-use residence! What's nice about Texas are the low real estate prices for the amount of space you get.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, to make your mom happy you could buy this and give some to Ryon. Then he'd be close by. The rest can be for you and your books. I love this place with the high ceilings and concrete floors, but I only have enough stuff to fill that laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually really, really like this home!

    PS--I think Jeanine may be on to something . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you imagine how expensive it must be to keep that place cool in the summer?? If it were up here it would be a pain to keep warm in the winter, too. Our house is hard enough to keep toasty without spiking our heating bill every winter, and we have a teensy tiny fraction of the sq footage! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads