Gluten-free, you and me


With a little smidge of guilt, I'll admit to you all that it has been a WHILE since I've cooked anything.  For dinner, often times it's hummus, fruit and yogurt for me.  It's too flipping hot to cook anything and usually I'm heading straight to horseback riding or working out right after work.  But once in a blue moon, I'll get the itch to scramble it up in the kitchen.  So this weekend, I made baked chicken nuggets with homemade sweet and sour sauce, Greek yogurt cake and a gluten-free pasta bake.  And, yes that pasta is as delicious and as healthy as it looks.  It had gluten-free rotini, butternut squash, kale, gruyere cheese and a healthy bechamel-type sauce made of vegetable stock, flour and Greek yogurt.  My favourite part about the whole pasta dish, which I would have expected to be the gooey cheese, was the organic kale crisped up in the oven, surprisingly, so maybe I'll have to experiment with some more baked recipes with kale.

A short progress report on my sister's skin, as you all have been so kind to inquire after her.  Post-Hawaii, her skin's recovery has been nothing short of remarkable.  She has continued her low-sugar, gluten-free diet, which I think is helping, but we also think that the combination of sunshine, sleep and low-stress from vacation contributed heavily to the cure.  So there you go, there is no better cure than more sleep, clean eating and de-stressing.  With that in mind, I wish you all a peaceful week ahead.

Comments

  1. Glad to hear your sister is better! :) The gluten free thing seems to be helping a lot.
    And anything with gyuere cheese...the best! I hope you used the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So there you go, there is no better cure than more sleep, clean eating and de-stressing." Words to live by, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear she's doing better - and you're so right, stress ruins everything. My skin gets so dry when I'm stressed, it's like my body rebels on me. Have a peaceful week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's clear! You need to both quit your jobs and move to Hawaii! Problem solved. And hire a personal chef. There you are. That said, this looks amazeballs. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear your sister is better!

    And I'm a little jealous for cooking. I'm still holding off--counting the days until fall. Since hot weather hit early, I'm hoping cool weather follows suit. Please, oh please . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so amazing what we can do with these earth suits if we take good care of them! Such machines our bodies are, functioning well with maintenance and the right fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See? This is why I wish for colder months. It's never too hot to cook anything in December! ;) But seriously, that dish looks delicious. I can't decide how I feel about kale yet.

    Happy to hear your sis is doing better! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad to hear your sister's doing better. and your pasta looks delicious. i think i was supposed to go on a gluten free diet when i was diagnosed with borderline celiac's disease. i couldn't keep up with it unfortunately.. i don't think my mind was up to switching up my diet completely

    ReplyDelete
  9. i will look for this recipe for fried kale, it's like kale chips with parmesan - anyway it's super duper yummy. i think if you like crispy kale you will loove it.

    i am so glad to hear your sisters getting better. luca's psoriasis on his elbows has just now gone away - apparently it can take a long time : / or maybe we just needed to go to hawaii. can i get a prescription for that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear your sister is better! Being low sugar by itself is hard enough but add gluten free to that? Gosh. So glad to hear it's working though. And of course the vacation and sleep sound divine!

    ps. can I come over for dinner? All the dishes you made sound amazingly yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been buying brown rice pasta lately, and it's so good. I want a piece of that pasta bake - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that pasta bake looks delicious. im a big fan of hummus. that's something i always ask my boyfriend to make me. i love to cook but sometimes i feel like i have to force myself. actually the only way to motivate myself to cook is if i actually take pictures for my blog, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum yum yum. I really appreciate gluten-free anything - thanks for getting me motivated to be more creative in my cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You did some great cooking over the weekend. I would have expected the cheese to be the best part too...or the butternut squash. Was the bitterness cooked out of the kale?

    It's amazing what salt water, fresh air and not working can do for a person. I'm really happy for sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious and don't even get me started on the Greek Yoghurt Cake, I am obsessed with greek yoghurt at the moment. Glad to hear your sister is doing better. Here is to less stress, healthy eating and enough sleep. I need to head those suggestions too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to cook, but really haven't been interested this summer. Easy, no heat meals are all I'm about. Glad your sister is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds delicious! I'm impressed you got the gf pasta to cooperate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads