Gluten-Free Oatmeal Raisin Peanut / Almond Butter Cookies


When mom and Siri were back home two weeks ago, accommodating both of their restrictive diets was difficult, to say the least.  Sister is doing a gluten-free, sugar-free deal and mom had to very strictly monitor her sodium intake.  Luckily, I was able to find a delicioso cookie recipe on the Interwebs that I then adapted to make my own to suit the very picky needs of my family.  These cookies are chewy and healthy and you don't need to feel bad about eating five in one sitting.  Or feel bad if you want, you're still going to have eaten five cookies in a row.

Oatmeal Raisin Peanut / Almond Butter Cookies

Adapted from Peace Love and Food

Ingredients:

1/3 cup of all natural applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 cup of maple syrup (you can also use raw honey here as well AND feel free to use less)
2 eggs
1 cup almond butter, unsalted, creamy (or substitute with chunky peanut butter, which was also pretty awesome)
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup of raisins (or more, as you like)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat works perfectly as well.

In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients in order until all thoroughly incorporated.

Drop one tablespoon of dough onto the sheet and repeat with remaining dough, separating by a few inches on the sheet. Flatten out the tops for wider cookies and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Then try not to eat all of them.  I stored the extras in the freezer and they keep rather well there, although let's be honest, we could have finished them all in one day.

Comments

  1. I'm tired and so was just scrolling past blogs when your cookie picture caught my eye. They do look great and good for you at the same time. Well almost. :) I'm not a cook type person but do think I'll try these.
    It sounds like your mother is doing well. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh gurl. You had me at 5 cookies in a row. ;) This has been evernoted. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! And what a good daughter/sister you are! Hope everyone gobbled them down and is on the mend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no way these would last longer than 5 minutes if I make these....thanks for sharing, Rooth:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I do love a good cookie . . . fresh out of the oven is a little piece of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never met a cookie I didn't like- thanks for the sharing this recipe Rooth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great. I'm surprised there were any to freeze. That was a good exercise in self-control!

    Did the cinnamon work with the peanut butter??? I've never had that combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always a bit weary of healthy cookies, but these really sound tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds so tasty~ would love to give it a try one of these days. i don't think i have ever baked or tried a gluten free cookie before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw yeah. i needed a good GF cookie recipe!! and the bonus is that they are CHEWY! it's near impossible to find a chewy GF cookie - even in portland ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Because I'm not as healthy, I'd totally put in chocolate instead of raisins. And use oil for the applesauce. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy looking recipe! Sounds like a great combination of ingredients:)
    xo Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will try that recipe, just replace the eggs. I love cookies so much, I just can't resist them. I love that there is applesauce in them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not a baker of any kind so cookies are usually off my baking radar but every now and then I come across a recipe worth dusting off the baking gear for... this is one such recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love oatmeal cookies! They're seriously my favorite cookies, so now I have to try this for sure. YUm. I'm so glad to hear your mom has been discharged and on the road to recovery. These should be the celebratory cookies of choice from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads