Society6
It's been less than 24 hours since my mom was discharged from the hospital for the weekend, not even halfway through Saturday, and my mom and I have already gotten into a fight.  But more on that later...

As an update, my mom is going to have a heart valve repair procedure on Monday afternoon, a major operation, after which she will remain in the hospital for a week.  Surgical risk is ~3% and we all feel really good about the surgeon.  The real issue for mom will be post-operative recovery, as she is underweight and frail.  As you all know, my mom is vegetarian but she's also on a low-sodium diet as well as taking several diuretics and blood thinners until the procedure.  She's spending the weekend at home recovering from the barrage of tests they've been running on her for the past week.  We're also making sure that she has everything prepped for her surgery on Monday and that she's feeling as good as she can be on the day she goes into the hospital.

Siri flew back yesterday from Portland and surprised them.  She'll be hanging out through the weekend and staying through Monday to see how the operation turns out.  It's been a comfort to have her around to say the least.

So back to the fight...

I know many of you have dealt with ill friends / family members and understand that it has the potential to be a very trying, exhausting, and frustrating process.  Everyone is stressed and on edge and I have to be better than letting my emotions take control of me.  Patience has never been one of my strong suits and I've already been tested on this.  Fortunately, I am as quick to apologize as I am to lash out and I am foreseeing a lot of apologies in the near future.  I will have to be better than only walking in someone else's shoes but also settling inside their heads as well to truly understand what they're going through and their perspective.

Patience.  Gratitude.  Grace.