Summertime madness

Steven Rood
Blink, and it's summer.

At 8:15 pm this evening, I was driving home, accompanied by a blue-purple-pink sunset, stained on my windshield and realized that all of a sudden, it's summer.  It's as if spring didn't even happen this year.  The lines between the seasons are a bit more blurred when you're not in school and don't have breaks or semesters to mark the passage of time.  Indeed, shorts and swimsuits are starting to sprout up in stores everywhere and sandals and tank tops are seen more often on weekend patio drive-bys.  And it's with a little bit of glee that iced coffee is an every morning type of thing now.

But for me, it's really about the light.  The pale pink light that is already faintly glowing when I wake up at the first crackling of dawn and that is a dull hazy purple clinging on at the end of my (almost unbearably long) day.  I'm up as long as the sun is in the sky and it won't do to miss a second of it.  Soon it will be time to start freezing popsicles and my tan lines will get increasingly awkward.  We'll start irritably brushing away mosquitoes and complaining about sweat marks on all of our freshly donned clothing.  Seat belt buckle burns will once again be a common occurrence and it'll be too hot to breathe.

But not quite yet.

It's still time to enjoy the light, the breeze, the greenery that is all so new right now.  Welcome to the beginning of summer.  I'm more than ready for it to hang around awhile.


Comments

  1. Send some of that warm weather over this way, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. late spring, early summer is the best, isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaaaah....how I long for summer, and also cant' wait for it to hang for awhile. It's great to finally see the sun too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's happening here today. Chilly and under a wool blanket at Cal's game last night, and boom, near 90 today! I'm not ready. We went from super early, barely spring to full on summer. I think I'll go to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the positive optimism of budget formulation season! Such a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love spring, it is such a beautiful season! Right now it is dark and rainy and windy here though but maybe next week! Enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're still definitely in spring here, chilly weather and LOTS of rain! Unfortunately winter messed with us and it's taking forever for trees and flowers to grow =-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am ready for summer. it's still very much spring here, but we've had some oddly hot days too. it was in the high 80's last week - for a day, then it was 60's and raining the next. but that's spring in pdx. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is the first time I actually enjoyed spring. I never knew what spring really was because it just seemed cold, chilly, chilly and then bam! it was summer. but I think i finally get spring and I've been enjoying it! But, I can't wait for the summer. Every time I go work out in our complex's gym, I see people getting the pool ready for it open on Memorial Day Weekend. I get so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. People are always complaining about the weather. I will always remind myself of the horrible winter we had before I complain about the summer that is to-be-had. I love your description of the sky in the morning and evenings and it really is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summer is almost here, almost because it has been raining as well. Pfft spring is so confusing. And same here, I am so ready for summer whee!

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh summer. I'd be lying if I said I am not a little bit afraid of it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only thing I really miss about Oklahoma is the sky, light, and the most amazing of sunsets that even beat sunset at the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a huge fan of summer, but I do love the light, the long days and Popsicles {I like them so much I make them all year}.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "accompanied by a blue-purple-pink sunset, stained on my windshield" . . . I love that.

    And I do love the newness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Around here it is supposedly still Spring. but I get the feeling that any day now, we're going straight to Hot As Hades. Do not pass go. And do not collect $200.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spring doesn't really happen here, more light winter lite. I'm so glad for summer, I can't bare much more winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads