How do people who work from home not end up enormous whales and other thoughts

Today was my second day of working from home and my first day of working with the Internet from home.  Tada - I am now no longer a meditating monk living in a silent cave!  I feel connected to the world and I have really missed my Internet window shopping.  

As this is my first foray into working from home, there are a lot of new things I'm experiencing.  Like the sound of birds chirping in the morning.  And in the afternoon.  And every time they fly by my window because they're taunting the neighbor cat that's lounging on the balcony.  And I start to wonder about things like how people who work from home don't end up enormous whales from the continual access to food.  In the office, every scrap, crumb, shred and sliver of food got devoured and immediately but here at home, there's food in the fridge and in the pantry at all times.  I find myself wandering over every 30 minutes, just to take a peek and make sure it's all there or something like that.  How do you not overeat yourself to death?  And has someone invented a refrigerator lock that only unlocks at certain points during the day?  Because I am almost done with a family sized box of Honey Bunches of Oats and I NEED HELP.  I also wonder when I'm going to start talking to myself.  Maybe that's a week two occurrence.  Also, people are NICE in the grocery store on the weekdays.  No, you go first, no you.  Please, after you.  I'm so sorry I bumped your cart.  That never happens on the weekend.  That blue-haired old lady will gut you if you take the last almond milk carton.

I also received this (well, two of them) in a ginormous cardboard box this afternoon.  Yay dining room chair!  They came out exactly how I thought they were going to look and they're actually very comfy to sit on.  Now for the table and bench to arrive... any minute now... time's a ticking.


Tomorrow I might just make myself a fort out of all the extra moving boxes we have laying around.  Because, who knows, my best thinking may be done in a cardboard fort.

Comments

  1. hahah, rooth this is so funny because I'm always on my computer when I get home from work and go to the kitchen every hour for food so I totally know what you mean.

    Great post and good luck tomorrow....you can do it :)
    xoDale
    http://www.savvyspice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your dining chair!!! and i dont know how i would be even a little bit productive if i worked from home lol i'd be too tempted to keep the tv on or something. people ARE much nicer at the grocery store on weekdays, it's kinda freaky tbh lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dining chair looks great! I can't wait to see how you decorate your entire place :)

    So glad that you are enjoying working from home! You're right about the fat thing tho. Tie the food down and don't munch! hahaha At least now you can schedule walks around the block to burn off some of the extra calories. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love working from home! I don't get to do it often, but when I do, it's lovely. I can wake up at reasonable time, stay in pjs, take small breaks to get things done around the house...it's the best.

    Good luck with the boxes. I STILL have an unpacked box or two left from the move in December!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Internet and dining chairs, sounds like the new place is already coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People are a bit more convivial during the week. I guess that's what freedom will do for a person! As for looking like a whale--you noticed I've started exercising again, right? :) Actually, once you get into the a groove, it will be much better. I find when I'm busy, I actually munch less than when I'm working in an office. It just under moments of extreme duress--unfortunately, that was all last year. :)

    And at the risk of making this comment a novella--LOVE the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOLZ....you're an amateur, Rooth. I can finish a Jumbo box:P And it's true...I do find people are much nicer in general during the weekday...even the sales staff.

    And I concur with the others. That chair is gorge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That made me laugh! I work from home, so I absolutely know what you mean :-) I do, however, get ready in the morning as if I was still working in an office. Dress properly, put on makeup and start on time. I find that helps.

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, I really appreciate it. Have a lovely evening xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. very interesting thoughts... i have never worked from home, so i'm not really sure how my day would look like. however, i'm very diligent when it comes to my work, maybe a little bit too much. i'm very focused. i get to my work place, i work my hours, don't allow for distractions and go home and unwind. if i was only that focused in other areas of my life, that would be perfect.

    thanks for the sweet words!
    leyla.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say to make sure you take a lot of breaks.. but by breaks I mean working around the house. I have a friend that works from home and her house is a mess! My opinion is that since she is there all day, she doesn't really see how messy it is (as a normal person would who comes home to it) Hope that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear... her house is a mess? I really hope that's not going to be me!

    I'm hoping my working out more regularly will balance all the eating I'm doing. At least it's healthier stuff, like fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. when i was studying it wasn't so bad. i was (surprisingly) very disciplined. but being a mama at home has me visiting the fridge too often. sigh

    best thing is to do something when you feel like a break - a teeny bit of cleaning and tidying, sorting through something, prepping for dinner, going outside....

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're hilarious! And yes, you will start talking to yourself. But I don't think it's anything to worry about. Just enjoy it, use funny accents or practice a new language. As for the eating, you just need to develop a new tick, like I got a camelbak water bottle with straw and I'm constantly sucking down water all day. Keeps me busy. Just saying. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, and I'm glad you liked the hair!

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh more pics please!
    Yes, working from home = very hard to resist food yummies. But the novelty does wear off. And the routine does kick in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your blog, thx for checking out mine! and these tolix chairs? love those so much! and i too have wondered about people who work from home, don't worry, you get used to it and you don't start talking to yourself, well maybe a little ha! ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha! It's a whole new world--I relate. In my situation the toddler would spill the entire family sized cereal box in the 2 seconds it takes to check an e-mail. At least it would keep me from eating it all : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that chair. It's so cute and good to know it's actually comfortable. I work from home a couple days a week and I love it but there are plenty of days when I feel like a total sloth. The key for me is trying to work out first thing and then take a shower. Makes me feel much better about sitting around in yoga pants for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMGADDD looooove the chair! SOOO very envious! p.s. thanks for all the blog comments :) soo much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads