Bring your stretchy pants

Photo Credit: Food52
After some epically wild and vacillating Christmas holiday plans and due to some unforeseen circumstances, we won't be hosting a packed house this holiday season nor will we be escaping to the mountains to ski (sigh).  It's true what they say about the best laid plans; they change.  However, we will be fortunate to be hosting my sister's BOYFRIEND for Christmas.  DUN DUN DUN.  Although originally from Texas, he moved to Portland for work a few months ago and him and my sister may or may not be joined at the hip now.  It will be our first time meeting him and the first time that my sister has ever introduced a boyfriend to my parents.  No pressure or anything.  And it's not like my parents have already started poking fun at the two of them behind their backs.

Ever the big sister and the host, my goal for Christmas is to make sure that Siri and Misha (that's my nickname for him) are stuffed to the gills with holiday treats.  For Christmas dinner, my dad has already planned on having a traditional Chinese hot pot meal (yess) so we've got that covered.  Below are some of my ideas of things to mix, bake, and cook:

  • Eggnog pie - Siri and my dad are big nog fanatics and what better way than to incorporate it into pie (particularly as I finally have the whole crust making thing down).  I found this recipe here that could serve nicely
  • Figgy pudding butter cookies (pictured above) - I've never had figgy pudding for Christmas but I like figs and I like pudding.  And everyone likes cookies.  So really, what could go wrong?  I'm grabbing this recipe from Food52, as part one of the Christmas cookie series
  • Black and white cookies - Part 2 of the Christmas cookie series.  Just because I love them and I've never made them before.  Maybe these will be the birthday treat that I bake myself.  And then devour, all by myself
  • Amaretto cheesecake - Or any type of cheesecake really, but lately I am on an almond kick.  This one looked particularly delicious and if you're going to go fat, you might as well go all the way.  Go big or go home.  Actually we'll be both of those
  • Alcoholidays - Basically, everything here that Kelly Beall over at Design Crush has pulled together into one master list.  We are going to have some red cheeks and noses this Christmas.  Treat yo'self and make merry!
They may need to waddle back to the Pacific Northwest.  Any traditional Christmas treats that you'd like to share or recommendations of food/drink I should make?  I'm all ears!
 


Comments

  1. Misha?! Intrigued as to why you've given him that nickname. Eggnog pie sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time! Wow, that should be fun. The treats sound yummy--I thought everyone liked egg nog. I bought a bottle ( pre- spiked) this past weekend. The figgy pudding cookies look good. They're a better idea than a plum pudding pie. I'm sure the cheesecake and B&W cookies will be good too!
    Petit fours used to be an annual holiday tradition, but we don't get them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny your parents are poking fun at your sister and her boyfriend. The menu sounds delish! What a great host you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misha? MISHA? That's awesome. Poor man. I think he's incredible brave, to be quite honest. I hope he's wonderful and you love him. (Full disclosure: I've been him, so I feel a fair amount of empathy, although Neel's parents weren't ever as cool as yours, I'm sure.)

    My mom will be here in about a week to start baking and my dad will come a few days after that. We're kicking ourselves because we can't remember what we made for dinner last year, and of course it was the best meal ever. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pls send your leftovers over here, kay? And LOLZ on ur parents...God bless the parents:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, young love :) and how about those Paris plans of yours??? keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have a nickname for him! :) hope it'll be a wonderful gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, first time meeting the significant other. That's huge. I remember being super critical the first time I met my sister's then-boyfriend/now-husband. I didn't I had that in me ;). Your Christmas food treats sound great! He'll definitely love you :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. How excited! I hope you will all have a great time together! And I think cookies and cakes are always a good idea. That would already be enough to feed me over the holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh bring us some figgy pudding. . . i am officially going to have that song stuck in my head for at least the remainder of the day. and every time milo has something fascinating to show me (which is about every 30 seconds) he says 'dun dun dun!' FUN times! based on this cooking list i will say that you guys will certainly be winning over misha. how funny that those two texans found each other here in the pnw. sounds like the opening for a real love story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes. My long drawn comment vanished. Hope the Christmas meet goes off well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, sounds like there might be some anecdotes after the holidays ;-)

    OMG cheesecake. I haven't had any since I got diagnosed with celiac. must fix that. Surely I can make it with gluten-free graham crackers?

    The eggnog pie sounds brilliant too! gah, now I am craving dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This weekend is Christmas Cookie Baking Time with my aunt and grandmother. I. Can't. Wait. We make like a thousand little green tree shaped sugar cookies. (We are Jewish. Don't ask questions, haha). Good luck interrogating/initiating Siri's bf! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh I hope you guys don't torture the new BF too badly :-) Your family seriously doesn't mess around when it comes to desserts - Amaretto cheesecake sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. See? I knew it. Thanks for reminding me . . . the recipe is scanning, even as I type. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of that sounds so amazing. seriously. Egg nog pie? Amaretto cheesecake? GENIUS. Now I just need someone to bake those for me too. Or baby sit Cy while I whip them up myself...

    (Also it's really sweet that you do Christmas cards! It's such a lovely tradition....but one that I suck at. I keep telling myself I'll be more adult next year and get it done...but fail.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads