Pickling myself from the inside

etsy shop
I'm not pregnant, which is one way I suppose of starting out a blog post.  I'm definitely not pregnant but I've had a hankering for pickles this past month.  My local grocery store carries Ruuska pickles, which are probably the most delicious that I've ever eaten, and I've been buying jars on a weekly basis.  Not the bread and butter kind - nasty stuff - but the legit dill kind and also the fire dill ones (just enough bite to them).  These crispy, crunchy pickles are just swimming in dill and garlic (I could kill scores of vampires by exhaling alone) and I eat them plain, by themselves, standing over the sink.  They're that good.  Or I'm that crazy.

What's even crazier still is that once I'm done with the pickle spears, I've started drinking the pickle juice.  Apparently, pickle juice is the coconut oil of the brining world (okay maybe vinegar is the coconut oil of the brining world).  It's good as a hangover and heartburn cure, for replenishing electrolytes after a workout, PMS remedy and shot chaser, among other things.  So this blog post serves double duty as my PSA announcement for the week - Drink Pickle Juice.  You'll thank me (or hate me) for it.


Comments

  1. Rooth, Imma gonna be honest....not a big fan of pickles, and I don't wanna hate you, so.....:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This balances the ledger for drinking pickle juice. A SIL (who is nuts and who I'm not too eager to see) drinks it. I'm going to stick with a few dill slices on my burgers. I don't eat them, but our house pickle seems to be sweet gherkins.

    PS - combined with that contraption you bought yesterday, this pickle spree is mighty suspicious. Just for the record, I'm not expecting either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dis not the bread and butter pickle, Missy. ! I love all pickles, but B&B are my faves. Hoping to make some soon. And you WILL like mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, bread and butter pickles are the worst. They're basically yellow-green and have the weirdest flavor. I like my pickles super pale and crunchy and salty :) Sounds like we could devour a jar or two between us in record time! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never thought to drink pickle juice. i am now craving pickles! i think i go through weird phases when i'm hooked on them and then i'll be olives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. when i was little i loved pickles. or most anything pickled for that matter. luca is always wanting pickles. he has the same weird food cravings as me (and the same issues as well - wheat). i have begun to wonder if there is some connection? probably we just love salt and vinegar and crunchiness. most importantly however .... did you make up that last bit? is it really good for heartburn? i have had heartburn so bad lately it's been really strange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE pickles (not the bread and butter kind, though .. ew) and when I was little I used to drink the pickle juice all the time. My mom thought I was crazy, and she may be right, but it's not because I drink pickle juice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I bet you can kill some vampires with these
    dill/garlic pickles one, sounds delicious though! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know pickle juice had health benefits! I'll remember that when we finish the jar in our fridge right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dill pickles are the best! I've never heard of that brand though.

    My sister ate a whole jar of peperoncini peppers and drank the juice when she was pregnant and it didn't sit well with her, I'm sure your stomach would have words with you if it could talk. :) I will admit to using my pickled hot pepper juice as a sauce, it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love pickles a lot. I eat a lot of them. Sometimes a whole big jar at once. Never tried the juice though because there are often onions swimming in it. Maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...and now I have an intense craving for pickles...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pickle juice?! Ew. But I'm not judging ;).

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the fire pickles--I discovered those gems this year and I cannot get enough. People have looked at me funny when I suddenly blurt, "I need a pickle!" Needless to say, you had me . . . until pickle juice. We may need to hold an intervention . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads