via here
I've never realized how awkward it would be to talk about my blog with my non-blogger friends.  That was definitely not something I considered before taking up writing one.  The first awkwardness encountered is when I bring up the fact that I have a blog.  Does one throw that into a conversation casually?  I never feel like I've done it smoothly and nonchalantly (probably my first mistake).  And do people then feel obligated to check it out?  And if they're not interested, are you upset if they don't check in occasionally or even at all?

I was at brunch with my old college roommate, who I now only see once a year, when Frenchie proudly threw out the fact that I had a blog.  My face must have just completely fallen and I could feel my cheeks burning.  I quickly recovered, blurting out, "But you don't have to read it!  I just do it for fun!  Please don't judge me."  I didn't even give the web address, I was so mortified with what she might think.  Another night, we were at a lounge (a lounge of all places, to talk about this) and an acquaintance started asking me about my blog.  He, in not an unkindly way, asked me about what I write and how I get my inspiration.  To which my response was a blank stare for 10 seconds and then stammered "Uhh... you know, stuff that happens during my day, cool things I find on the internet..."

Which then leads to the other awkwardness when I bring up the bloggers whom I read everyday in conversation.  I'll mention "Oh my friend Shalini totally hit the nail on the head when it comes to the characters that Zooey Deschanel plays - MANIC PIXIE GIRL!"  (Shalini, I hope you're not terribly offended that I called you my friend.) Or "I've met all these very unique individuals from all over the world like Joanna / Chuck / Hila." and "LMF recommended this new show Once Upon a Time, which I am so very addicted to now."  I know that some of you know more about the details of my life and my day-to-day activities than some of my closest friends. 

So how have you all been able to reconcile the dichotomy and manage the blogger and non-blogger relationship?  Do you not mix the two or are they very much intertwined?  And how in God's name do you make it not awkward?