Battle spider eggs

Cobweb Hole
I'm ineffectively typing on my laptop, alternating between sitting crunched over and kneeling in one of the most awkward positions ever, in an attempt to stretch out a pair of "super skinny jeans" that I should really just return for a bigger size.  You'd think I would have learned after that one season  I tried (and failed) at copying Angelina Jolie and her stick thin jean style.  Serves me right for attempting to be trendy.

Anyway...

This weekend's Halloween-ish activities kicked off with a load of creepy crawlies and a loud screech.  Arriving at the barn early on Friday evening with a few hours to kill, I naturally, and stupidly, volunteered for cleaning duty.  Note to self and everyone else - never ever volunteer for cleaning duty where the outdoors are concerned.

Three of us girls, including my trainer, armed with an industrial strength wet/dry vacuum cleaned out locker after locker.  We sucked up dirty stall shavings, dead (and alive) cockroaches, round, wriggling worms of indeterminate origins, and spider eggs.  Yep - we're talking brown recluse / black widow spider eggs danging from masses of cobwebs as thick as your hair.  Big old spider eggs the size of peas.

I think we took turns yelling "This is sick!" every two minutes.  It was pretty much the grossest thing I've ever done, and that includes using a port-a-potty this Oktoberfest.  For a good hour afterwards, I was brushing invisible spiders and roaches off my arms and scratching at nonexistent bites.  However, between the battle of spider eggs vs. girls, the girls emerged from the fray triumphant (and unbitten).

Just don't ask us to empty the vacuum cleaner.


Comments

  1. lol! congratulations :) you rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEW! I've never seen spider eggs before but can just imagine it's pretty gross

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah gross!!! it's giving me the collywobbles just thinking about it.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god...I'm so petrified of spiders that I would have bailed on that task and run a mile (at high speed!)... Well done you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roaches live outside in Texas?!?! Ugh. You were brave with all those spiders too. I love winter because it means those types don't survive here.

    Good luck with your jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry? You volunteered to do all that?? What is your problem?? That shows mass bravery in my book. Just reading this has made me all nervy and I keep thinking I can see spiders scurrying about, through the corner of my eye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brown recluse don't live in this part of VA, but Cal is worried every time he sees a spider that it's a BR! I won't be reading him this post, but you are BRAVE. I can pretty much handle spiders (by telling myself that they eat mosquitoes????? even though I'm not sure that's true. so what I'm saying is, don't correct me, 'mmmmkay?), but the poisonous ones? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, this post is full of all sorts of unnerving things. Not the least of which is the skinny jeans. Eeh. Of course, I wore skinny jeans in the 80's so I'm good . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seriously would have screamed and ran away from there. You guys are brave!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol, getting the nasties out of the vacuum is tricky. I used a stick to clean up spider webs/eggs and stomped the spiders as I went. But I suspect you were dealing with much larger specimens. :)

    I remember doing the same with my dad, then we burned the sticks.

    PS - Angelina Jolie? Yuck! She should be trying to copy Rooth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thick as hair...spider eggs...now my head itches!

    ps - you're very brave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh heck no. *shudders* props to you girls for persevering b/c yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ARGHHH. Cockroaches make me ill!! Seeing spiders and other weird things make me itchy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. eecks! i am actually terrified of spiders and roaches and bugs. it's just one thing i can't get over. i once saw a tv show where they help people overcome their phobias and one was about this lady who had arachnophobia. let's just say i would've hated to be her and i think i would've come out more traumatized if i went through what she went through!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my god now I'm brushing imaginary things off my arms. The heebiest of jeebies! You are a brave, brave lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are far braver than me. i would have taken one look at the spider eggs and would have been out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha i would be freaking out too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i don't like bugs. i mean i am fine with flies and bees and such, but spiders, cockroaches and heaven forbid centipedes or worse yet, millipedes. i guess the "basement" type bugs - shiver! whoever empties that vacuum is in for a special treat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got the heebie jeevies just reading this

    ReplyDelete
  20. Watch out for the brown recluses! Those bites will rot a hole in your flesh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads