Always ride more horses

Allison Mae
At times, I'm just barely holding it together - either about to fall dead asleep or jump out of my skin.  I've been told time and time again that I need to find the perfect balance and that I need to reach a happy medium.  That my body is going to wear itself out and that I'll age earlier than I should or break.  And then I'm asked to ride another horse.

You see, our little barn family is growing, almost exponentially this year it seems.  After Ryon's arrival, there was Willow, then Onion, and then Louis.  And quite quickly, too many to exercise.  I've been recruited to give some of our old standbys a work out, to give them a good run and a chance to get out their energy for the day.  And despite the fatigue, despite the mess that is my apartment, despite my dwindling social life, I can't turn it down.  What is love for something but the feeling when your legs are quivering, trembling with exhaustion at the end of an evening?  What is true passion except for when you sacrifice your energy and most importantly, your time, to do what it is that you really enjoy - fighting through the pain?  And what is the payoff of it all?

The payoff is being able to stay seated when being bucked and reared against without stirrups.  The payoff is taking a frightened horse around the arena backward until he starts to pay attention to you (ahem Ryon ahem).  The payoff is the trust I earn with a velvet nose nuzzling my shoulder.  The payoff is knowing at the end of another exhausting day, another day where my legs feel like noodles, that if I was asked to ride one more horse, I wouldn't hesitate to say yes.

Comments

  1. balance is overrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You describe it so beautifully - and horses are a magic creature! :-)

    http://tinajoathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Petra. And this! So moving. I'd love to hear Ryon's story. How he came to be yours. Do you know his history?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing something you truly love is worth it. Agree with the first comment....balance is overrated anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love it . . . and that photo . . . those handsome faces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noodle legs! I'm with Petra, balance is totally overrated. Aren't we supposed to be giving everything we have to what we love?? No one ever looks back and says, "Meh, I could have slept more." xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great hobby and you are doing something good!

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. your love and dedication is boundless. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was so beautifully written. what is balance really? i hear people talk about it a lot but i've yet to see a formula. if you are happy and doing what you love, that seems like balance to me. and if at some point something needs to give, you'll know what it is. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sense of accomplishment (directed at the last few things you wrote) must be invigorating! Riding horses must be difficult, and I have to even master those horse-tour rides!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like something my mother would say "...you'll age ahead of time..." Wait, hold on...all this time, I thought Ryon was a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had something thoughtful or witty to say but my brain is a little fried right now. All I really want to say is I really like this post. It's a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't say no either. I mean, it is something you are passionate about so you are willing to invest a lot! You are a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's passion right there! P.S. I've never ridden(?) a horse :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads