Chapped hands


My mom recently mentioned to me that my tiny hands have gotten quite rough and course.  Looking down at my red, cracking knuckles, it's true that they aren't as pretty as they once were.  My nail polish is chipped in two places, despite having only done them yesterday.  The nails themselves are short and stubby, to prevent dirt and grime from becoming embedded and festering.  But between washing dishes for my parents' at their house (poor momma's still sick) and scrubbing down tack every single night, there's bound to be some coarseness.  The wind chill and below freezing temperatures haven't helped and when I dip my hands into that ice cold bucket, there are more of my fingers I can't feel.  But much as it is and has been for the past year, I wouldn't have it any other way - being close to family and doing the things that I love.

These past few weeks I've been trodden upon, frozen, and reduced to patting a freaked out Ryon's neck because there are signs blowing in the wind.  In the same place.  Every night.  But patience is the key and he's really come a long way in the almost two weeks that I've had him.  The big bugger's a smart one and a cheeky fellow to boot.  Oh, the adventures we will have...

Comments

  1. Rough hands are still capable of the most tender touch...and it sounds like it's a tender heart that has you doing the course work. Who would want to change that? (But the cracking could be painful. Get yourself a tube of fancy lotion to help avoid that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, sounds like hard work. I better stop complaining about having to look after a couple of cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a good mommy to Ryon:) The things we do for our loved ones, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what Ricademus said. I was going to recommend my Santa Maria Novella hand cream to you after you asked on my blog, but it sounds like you need heavier duty stuff than that. What about some of that Udder Balm? And Neel (his hands get super chapped when he's in the lab a lot, no matter what season it is) swears by any of the Eucerin products. Chapped hands? Pfft. You sound so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with lauren and love what ricademus said. how poetic. and how true is that? who cares about rough and chapped hands, small sacrifice for having the things you love so near and being happy. but getting some heavy duty lotion wouldn't hurt either. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you´ll have great adventures, you´re a smashing couple! :-)

    http://tinajoathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have grandma hands! and they are so dry.. especially during the winter. and i wash the dishes like three times a day and it's tiring to always put on lotion! i wish there was some smart invention where lotion gets coated on your hands as you dry them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had really dry hands after I had Nora and then I realized it was my ring and jewelry that was causing my hands to be dry.. so i cleaned them and viola less dry :) a little random I know.. happy tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire people who look past the small things to appreciate the bigger picture! I hope you have many great adventures with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. my hands frequently get dry too, I use molton brown hand cream and they are really good

    and you are so lucky, I'd love to own a horse! your time with him is going to be magical x

    Katrina Sophia Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really are a hardworking girl! I know the dry hand problem. I guess my hands look the same than yours. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely some hard work you've been up to. I don't even bother with nail polish anymore. Between diaper changes, bottle-making, and the cold season, I'm constantly washing my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ryon and your mom are worth the dry hands. I say if you can't find a lotion you like try the coconut oil because if it doesn't work for you as a moisturizer, you can just cook with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far, the only lotion I've found to work for overly try hands is Curel Hand & Cuticle Therapy.

    On a brighter note, here's to grand adventures ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads