Not my gritty lasagna but Alex's tasty one
On New Year's Eve, whilst my mom, dad, and sister were sick, I endeavoured to bake the sickly ones a vegetarian leek and mushroom lasagna from Mary McCartney's cookbook Food.  I spent the majority of the afternoon chopping, slicing, sauteing, and stirring, wearing the new TARDIS apron that Siri got me for my birthday.  After approximately two hours in, I took my first taste of the leek and onion lasagna filling straight from the skillet.  Chewing cautiously, I groaned inwardly (and probably outwardly as well).

To quote one of the better books I've read recently, Gulp by Mary Roach, "Studies have shown that humans can feel, with their molars, a piece of grit as small as 10 microns in diameter."

And there it was - grit in my lasagna.  Fatefully, I decided to carry on.  Not only could I not bear to throw away two hours of work but also $20 worth of groceries.  The leeks were organic, I tell you!  Organic grit is okay to eat, right?  Or at least more okay than the nonorganic kind.

Thus, on New Year's Eve, my flu infested family, not only suffering from fever and coughing, ate plate after plate of cheesy, gritty lasagna.  Okay, maybe it was just one plate each.  After which the entire concoction went straight into the trash.  But the moral of my NYE story is this: Regardless of how late in the game it is and how much time you've already invested, don't be afraid to scrap something that you know is going to fail.  Don't make your family eat gritty lasagna.

Also, make sure to thoroughly wash, soak, and rinse your leeks.  Multiple times.