This fragile new year

Yellow Barn Studio
She who has nursed thousands of colds, fevers and illnesses.  Who stood by so patiently with the red puke bucket through every stomach flu and food poisoning episode.  Who battles silently through her own discomfort to bring us hot tea, tissues and 7Up (with a sippy straw).  Chicken noodle soup, green jello, endless supply of asthma inhalers.  What can you not say about her strength and fortitude with snotty, grouchy little ones mewling away?

She who I now tower over by over three inches and outweigh by 20 lbs.  Who has been bravely fighting her cold for over a week now (and stubbornly fighting the drowsy side effects of Nyquil for three days).  Who curls up on the love seat with a heating pad behind her back and a hot thermos of ginger tea always within her reach, obediently eating every bite of every meal I bring her - even the gritty NYE lasagna.

She texts me tonight to tell me that it's going to be cold tomorrow and to remember to bundle up and keep warm.  She always thinks of others first, of us first.

What can you not say about her fragility?


Comments

  1. Fragile, but with an inner strength that amazes. She's a good mom...and someone is a good daughter. I hope she recovers soon.

    PS - "red puke" reminds me of an unfortunate experience my daughter had many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love moms - hugging them, reading about them, getting awed by their strength. it kinda has the lump in my throat effect on me all the time. hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful and brings out so many emotions in me. My mom's cool hands (due to a circulation issue that I was ever grateful for!) on my hot forehead. The Halloween bucket we used as a puke bucket in our own house and my (new) fears that Cal will get sick while he's far away. I'm hoping for much well being for all of you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fragile egg looks like a rock (in the picture). In the light of day, I'm thinking that was intentional. I missed it last night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh this is just so so beautiful. and inspirational. i hope to be a little bit of the mom it sounds like your mom is. (and i hope my children are good to me like you are to your parents, haha.)

    i hope your mom is doing better and that you keep bundled up! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! You are such a fantastic writer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mom is a mom is a mom - something very weird happens when we take the step from daughters to moms and all of the sudden we do things we never did before, with an endurance we never knew. I´m always amazed over this fact as I see it all around me (and amazed of how children never stop being children no matter how old they are). :-)

    http://tinajoathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I hope your parents get better really soon, their cold sounds like the worst! You are lucky to have your mom and she is lucky to have you~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope she feels better!!!! It's amazing, even when she is sick, she considers your well-being. What a great woman in your life (I'm assuming it's your mom)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love our mamas (I don't know about you, but the sippy straw always made it taste better)! I do hope your mama is feeling better soon. . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads