Recent Reads: December 2013 and January 2014

Ugh, I totally suck and completely forgot to write my December 2013 recent reads post even though it was one of the heftier reading months of the year.  2013 shall go down as the year of the book because I read way too many of them - over 110, I think.  What makes me a little bit sad about that is the number of books that I had to go through to get to the really good ones.  And even after finding them, I'm not satiated.

I just want more, MORE, MORE, said the book monster, sitting down to devour yet another, dust jacket and all.

All jokes aside though, you bloggers are becoming an invaluable source for book recommendations.  I picked up Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi as a recommendation from Deidre at Decoy Betty and pretty much swallowed it whole.  If you're looking for a book that will have you racing to pack your suitcase and do something crazy scary, that's the one you want.  The Twelve Tribes of Hattie was recommended by Emmy at Scarberian Fashion Lover and I enjoyed how each of the chapters was really a short story, a brief glimpse into the lives of another.  And Unnatural Creatures was a birthday gift from Amy at Magpie and Muttonfly who knows that I love anything Neil Gaiman.  Thank you my dear friends for all your suggestions and I welcome as many as you can throw my way.  If you want to read a few reviews on my favourites these past two months, check out the posts on Daytripper and Human Remains that I wrote here.  Or if any of these covers strike your fancy, let me know in your comments and I'm more than happy to tell you what I thought of it.

Happy reading folks!

Comments

  1. So happy to read that you liked 12 Tribes, Rooth:) Love that book. And OMG! Can I just say how jealous I am that you read that much? Over 110....that's just too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooooooooooo Ruth! I don't have time to read at the moment.... nevermind, that was just the sound of me slapping myself through the face. There is always time to read. Daytripper has intrigued me. I might have missed this but have you read Let's Pretend This Never Happened? Totally unhinged author but hilarious nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too tired to offer a real comment, sorry. Happy Tuesdsy!

    PS - how bad was the monkey???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Tooth caught my eye...how was it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your reading is always so impressive to me. I have three books going and none look as compelling as this. Just did download Driving Mr. Albert, so I'll let you know what I think. Although you've probably already read it. Or you're about to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and I want to hear about Sweet Tooth too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. goodness that's a lot of reading! I always thought I read a lot until I started reading blogs, maybe that's why I don't read so much now...I have all these blogs to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Carl Hiaasen! I had to read one of his books in a Journalism class in college (it was a cool class) and devoured it. I love how much you read!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The John Connolly book is on my to-read-list! Thanks for all the recommendations, I will check them out! You have a a great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i haven't read any of these books! but i am going to go check out a few and see if i can add some more to my ever growing ginormous list. i think i will start by looking into the mary roach and cal hiaasen. and i am definitely adding maiden voyage to my list stat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 110! wow. i used to work at a pr firm that represented the american library association, and he was a favorite among everyone. when he won the newbery award for the graveyard book, everyone was stoked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these book are new to me but some look great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh bookmarking all of these! Need some new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lot of reading. Impressively so.
    I've just been slowly consuming Hugh Howey's 'Dust" omnibuses. Really really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your book lists! I have read Gulp on your recommendation and NOS4A2. I'll take a look at the others, I've been very slow at reading lately, I've been working on Bossypants for 2 months now, and I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should totally start a book club! This suggestion is purely selfish btw, because I need help in picking books to read. :P

    ps. 110 books?! Holy moly. *bows down*
    pps. I should probably login to goodreads and make use of it. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks like you had a couple of good reading months. I should keep better track of what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the Joe Hill book, one of my favorite reads last year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, great, varied selection. Teleportation Accident and Twelve Tribes are both on my general interest/read list. Also, did you cheer lead?? x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads