"I get by with a little help from my friends" should be the lyrics of March's recent reads theme song.  Thanks to blogging friends as well as friends IRL, I've spent the last two months eating books.  TV, you no longer have any hold over me.

I've already expounded ad nauseam on the genius that is Raymond Carver this month but it's also worth sharing the gold mines that Chuck introduced me to with recommendations of Etgar Keret and Patrick Ness.  If you're familiar with the Selected Shorts podcast, chances are you've already heard some of Etgar Keret's short stories before.  Each one is a little quirkier than the last and highly entertaining - he writes them as I would love to be able to do so myself.  Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy falls into the YA dystopian category but really isn't anything like The Hunger Games.  It's brutally fast paced, honest, and entertaining enough that I've finished off the trilogy already.

I've written about Lisey's Story and Get Jiro here on Amy's book blog so feel free to pop on over there to read about those but I think hands down, my favourite book of March would have to be The Snow Child.  Simply speaking, it's lyrical and beautiful.  I put the book down half a dozen times because I expected it to be snowing outside.  If Alaska is anything like what Eowyn Ivey (you've got to love that name) makes it out to be, move me there in a heartbeat.  The book is about family and living and the very elementary happiness and heartache that they bring us.  Pick it up, read it, regift it, you won't regret it.

Others that I recommend from this month include: The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (which I swallowed whole in one evening) and Jar of Fools.