The goal yesterday was not to visit a farmers market but to make homemade salsa verde (a story for another time but it was goood).  My friend and I went searching for fresh produce and ended up at an honest-to-goodness legit farmers market.

This wasn't one of your "California" farmers markets - hastily set up on the weekends where you can sample cheese and sausage and buy freshly squeezed lemonade for $8 a cup.  This market, located in an industrial building with NO A/C, is open seven days a week from 6 am to 8 pm.  If you exit out the back of the building, you will find independent merchants set up in open air booths - hawking pyramids of produce, dried beans and spices and pineapple and mango snacks on a stick.

A faintly sweet aroma was the first thing that hit me when we walked inside the main farmers market building, which was odd because I expected a more earthy and farm-like smell from the produce.  It became apparent pretty quickly that I have no idea what fresh fruit and veg smell like.  The bonus to this market is that it caters to mainly Hispanic clientele, so there was a variety of different spices and peppers pervasive throughout.  We saw beach ball sized watermelon, jicama, prickly pear cactus and a multitude of fruit / veg that I've never seen or heard of before (what is that green, furry looking fruit or vegetable above in my pictures?)  Make sure your Spanish-speaking skills are up to snuff if you want to bargain but everything there was much cheaper than at a big box supermarket.  The vibrant colours, smells and textures are something that I'm coming back for - that and the Hispanic bakery across the street.  I feel like I've stumbled upon a gold mine here in town.