A little bit mooney

Thank you all for your kind words with regards to my previous post.  I appreciate the encouragement that each of you offered and the support for the "real life" challenges that we all encounter.

Now for the celebration!  This Sunday, September 30th is the Mid-Autumn or Moon Festival and is quite the opportunity for dinner parties and eating mooncake with family and friends.  There are many stories that my parents used to share with me and my sister when we were kids, all revolving around the moon (you can find many of these online).  But my favourite tradition that Siri and I clearly made up was, as kids, going out into the middle of our cul-de-sac in Texas underneath the bright autumn moon and doing our own rendition of a moon dance.  Our neighbors probably thought we were insane but quite honestly, we were probably just all hopped up on sugar from eating way too many mooncakes.  Maybe we'll choose to reenact our dance this weekend.

What will you do to celebrate the harvest moon this weekend?

Beautiful mooncakes (with recipe)
Moon Fox by Sergey Safonov
Moon ladder (Chinese character for "moon")
Full Moon Oil & Vinegar
Moon & Stars stationery via etsy
Moon tattoo

Comments

  1. Oh wow those mooncakes are beautiful! I first read about the moon festival and mooncakes in a Lisa See book, but I couldn't quite picture them. Those look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the neighbors looked forward to the dancing. It must have been very cute--and I'm sure your grandparents would enjoy it.

    A DC restaurant is offering a free mooncake if you say "show me the mooney", but no one wants to go. Maybe next year.

    The only moon story I remember involved yellow crows (as the sun), a hunter, and the most beautiful girl--she ended up as a moon maiden, with a white rabbit as her faithful companion. The story stuck because my last name means "hare". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. too bad, we don't celebrate any of this over here. but I doubt I need an excuse to eat :) have fun! and take lots of pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great pics love the moon tat!


    -Silvia

    Kisses from Paris

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooohhhhh...I'm a big fan of that moon ladder. very nice! Our moon is hidden behind clouds and this once, I'm glad. Rainy days suit my mood and my need to hunker down for the weekend. That's my (mini)celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moon-Festival - now that sounds amazing! I hope you have a great party with your family. The cakes in the first picture look so good, will have to check out the recipe. Bisous xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're having a big dinner tomorrow to celebrate:) Can't wait!
    Happy Moon Festival, Auntie Rooth:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love fun family traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we need a demonstration of the moon dance?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know so many things I don't know about - what is wrong with me?! Haha.

    This sounds like such a fun holiday to celebrate, I love that you and your sister got so into it growing up. Those moon cakes look delish, I will have to check out the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed the yummiest dinner at my parents' place (cooked by mum of course) and two delicious slices of moon cake...
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm those moon cakes look yummy! And any excuse to have a moon dance sounds like a good excuse to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads