Society6
"So tell me what you want, what you really really want.

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want."

And then I'll tell you that you can't really have it.

When I was a kid, I always thought that being a grown up meant that you could do what you want, when you want.  Then you find out that you can have everything that you want, just not all at once.  And then you learn that you may have to give up some of the things that you want, in order things that you want more.  Yes, that means prioritizing the things that you want and maybe the things that you've worked for your entire life.

When is it selfish to want what you want?  Is it important to give a little on things so that the people you love can have what they want?

Does compromising really result in everyone getting what they want or no one getting what they want?

And do the answers change if it's the big things in life?  Like getting married, having kids, having a career?