Goodbye old buddy

via here
My trainer called me last night to let me know that my buddy had coliced and died.  Although he wasn't my horse, I was the only person who rode him with any frequency and he always greeted me at the gate to his paddock.  He was a cookie hound and loved to nibble on you while you tacked him up.  Urkel (yep - you heard it right) was an old man (around 20) when he passed and had a good life up to the very end.  Riding is going to be put on hold for the next few weeks until they find a new horse.  I'll miss my sleepy yet dependable partner in the ring but also look forward to the new horse they're bringing in.  Unfortunately, this isn't encouraging me to buy a horse - even though that has been on my resolution list since I was a wee one!

Comments

  1. Oh no. I'm tearing up just thinking about poor Urkel. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! Everyone that I know who rides have such special relationships with their horses. I'm glad to hear yours lived a long, good life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about Urkel. At least he lived a good and long life. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sorry to hear about the horse. It sounds like he really appreciated the time you spent with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! Just because you didn't own the horse, doesn't mean that he wasn't a close friend.

    I hope this doesn't discourage you too long from buying your own horse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so sorry . . . losing a faithful friend is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a name! Urkel, wonder where that came from? It will be interesting to create a new bond now though, and good that he had a nice life (: I know I was devastated when my favourite horse left to have a foal and thought she wouldn't be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how dreadfully sad :( I'm so sorry to hear about poor Urkel (quite the name!). Sending you lots of hugs. Annie x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads