Why I couldn't sleep a wink during Christmas holiday

via here
I have an irrational fear of stepping out of my apartment in the morning and being attacked by zombies who have been transformed during the night.  I also have an irrational fear of seeing a little girl with long dark hair standing at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night.  All of these irrationalities compounded by reading The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro during the Christmas holiday kept me awake until the wee hours of the morning... peeking over my covers and making sure I memorized the quickest and easiest exit out of my bedroom.  Yes, it's quite insane.  The Strain, very briefly, tells the tale of a vampire virus being transmitted rapidly and without mercy through Manhattan.  The carriers of the virus, once turned into vampire / zombie hybrids, return to their homes and seek out their loved ones, satisfying an insatiable need to feed.  For those who like scary stories, it's a truly entertaining with a fair share of gore and action.  It's not angsty or full of teenage love triangles and you can enjoy it casually and for fun.  But I couldn't get over the chapter where a little girl walks out of the morgue to her home in Connecticut, goes up to her parents' bedroom while they slumber and unhinges her jaw to eat her dad.  Or the chapter where the suburban mom sips on a few of glasses of wine while her children are down for their afternoon nap, goes to check in on them and finds her neighbor feeding on her newborn daughter.  Just make sure, if you read the book, that you're okay with sleeping with the lights on!

Comments

  1. sounds scary!

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com
    http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god!! Note to self: Don't watch those movies.

    Every see The Grudge?? Well, that movie gave me an irrational fear of some creepy lady lurking under my sheets.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manhattan always seems pretty safe to me.
    I get more scared in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, I shall not be reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, this was hilarious thank you. I have a strange love for zombies, but it keeps me up at night as well! Especially here in Oregon where it's often eerily misty in the morning. Oh dear I want but don't want to read this!


    gilead in bloom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have bad dreams often after watching scary movies. I haven't really read many scary books but I imagine that wouldn't leave me with sweet dreams, either! Hopefully you're sleeping sounder these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. K, thanks. Totally ruined it for me.
    No, just kidding! That was enough, I'll have to sleep with the light on, now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds pretty scary.. Hmmm maybe I should not read the book...! xo akiko
    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, just reading this post has freaked me out enough! (I'm the kind that has to be able to fast forward through the scarier parts of the horror movies)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds good, I'm gonna have to check it out.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads