Society6
Confession time folks.  I have a hidden-although-now-not-so-hidden superpower: I don't need sleep.  When I was little Rooth, I hated taking naps, and in my previous life, I once went almost 72 hours straight at work without sleeping.  It is as if I know that things may be happening without me while I'm sleeping and I stay awake just to make sure I don't miss any of it.  When I left my job this past spring, I thought my body would need to make up for all of the non-sleeping that I put it through and I would be forced to sleep a normal 8 hours a night and nap like a cat every afternoon.

Nope.

You see, I still haven't been getting much sleep.  Before you start feeling sorry for me, I will preemptively brush aside your sympathetic murmurings by guiltily admitting that it's through no one's fault except my own.  I can't blame it on work, a crying baby / animal or even stress and anxiety.

I've been up during the wee hours of the morning reading books*, eyes glued to the page and refusing to close until Morpheus bashes me across the face with a sandbag.  There is absolutely no reason why I can't put the book down and pick it up the next day.  The characters aren't going anywhere and the plot won't change if I don't finish reading tonight.  But my impatience, particularly when coupled with an ensnaring plot, keeps me plugging along during the night and tromping around like a zombie during the day.  So if you ever see me in person, that's not some chic smokey eye makeup trend I'm rocking.  That's my book addiction, manifesting itself physically.**


*Which books, might you ask, are keeping me up?  Bossypants by Tina Fey and The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.  I think you all know that Bossypants is 'read this book with an empty bladder' good but The Rook exceeded my expectations.  What a wonderful new writer to discover!

**The next book on my nightstand is Mark of Athena, the third in the second Percy Jackson series.  You can bet your buttons that getting to bed early is not in my near future.

***What book, if any, has been keeping you up at night?