Battle Sriracha

via here
Nell poked at her noodles and snow peas, chased them around the edge of her bowl and then sighed.  She looked up and caught the disapproving gaze of mother and father, their stern mouths set in a line.  No dessert or leaving the table until I finish, she thought, again.  She slumped back into her chair.  After the table was cleared and dishes were done, the parents retired to the living room for raucous reality television time and Nell was left alone in the kitchen.

Her grey, grizzled grandfather padded in slowly and softly, holding his empty bowl.  He lifted his eyebrow as he glanced at Nell, moping in her seat.  Nell shrugged and simply explained, "It's boring."  Grandpa nodded, thoughtfully, and then went to the pantry.  He rummaged around until he came up with a bright red bottle with a rooster label and plonked it on the table.

Nell turned the bottle over in her hands and tentatively squeezed a bright red line of its contents into her bowl.  Mashing it up with her chopsticks, she tentatively took a bite.  And her food bit her back!  Prickles of sweat started rising on her forehead and nose and her mouth felt as if it was swarmed by a colony of fire ants.  Here was a real challenge.  She took another bite and another and felt the ball of fire roll down into her stomach as she swallowed.  Determined to win this battle, Nell attacked her bowl, concentrating on the heat and feeling her way through the sudden mist of red that seemed to obscure her vision.  Minutes later, Nell looked up for the second time that dinner.  Her grandfather took her empty, red-almost-blood stained bowl and shuffled over to the sink.  He winked at her and she, panting, sweating and thirsty, winked back.

Comments

  1. LOL is this based on a real life experience? That is too funny, and very creative writing! Although we have picky eaters in my family, something tells me hot sauce would have made it worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA I love this story!! And that picture literally made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who supposedly sucked on jalapenos from my mom's plate while sitting in my high chair, I have to say I love this little story. It's amazing what a little spice can do to a dish. :)

    Beautiful writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I'll have to have my son read it because he dearly loves hot things. Really well written, dear. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the sriracha fights back! Heehee...love these little bits of fiction:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried this! I'm such a spicy wimp. Nice story

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it ... both the well written story and the hot sauce!

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't stand spices in my food, can't even take on a jalapeno

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spice it up indeed! Very well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute :) My favorite way to eat sriracha is on alfredo pasta. And pizza. My friend Hannah is notoriously obsessed with the stuff and keeps a bottle in her desk at work. People line up for it on their lunch break. I'll have to share this post with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I love this story! Beautifully written and I'm a sucker for special moments shared with grandparents. :)

    I discovered Sriracha in a Noodles & Company--just sitting there on the table. Soon I was experimenting with on/in everything. Pink and spicy New England clam chowder is better than it sounds.

    PS - It took willpower to keep from writing "Awl". Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gawd, you're soo good. Are you secretly a professional writer?

    If we ever meet up in person, we're gonna have battle of super spicy food. I'm down, sista!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is always better with a little spice--what a perfect illustration. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Reads